Build Your bagel

Bagel lovers only need apply!

So, as the garden swells to tomato capacity, my thoughts race to a toasted bagel with a very thin smear of goat cheese, a thick slice of red, juicy tomato, s&p. Sure, I can gild the lily with nova, onion, capers…but there is something so satisfying about the simple and sublime.

How do you build your bagel? Let 'em rip!

Thanks,
Rooster

3 Likes

Toasted pumpernickel bagel, chive cream cheese, honey mustard, thinly sliced sweet onion, sliced hardcooked egg, good liverwurst.

Wow, very specific flavors! That’s what I call building a masterpiece for the eyes and enjoyment.

While everything sounds great, my boringly traditional preference is a lightly toasted sesame bagel with a good amount of cream cheese, lox, and maybe a few capers.

2 Likes

Nothing boring about having your bagel your way.

Thanks. I know, but maybe this will encourage me to branch out. Your goat cheese and tomato sounds awfully good!

1 Like

At the bagel shop: everything or pumpernickle (not toasted! No toasting fresh bagels!) with cream cheese (plain nondairy), shredded lettuce, onion, tomato, thin sliced dill pickle, and brown mustard.
Or i go to whatever they say is still warm with pb and j, but i have to ask not too much pb or they add like an inch- literally!

At home: defrosted and toasted (from previous bagel shop purchase), and i prefer open face- usually just half a bagel since they’re good sized.
Depends if it’s breakfast or lunch but favorites include a layer of smashed avocado and then tomato slices with salt and pepper, or just a generous amount of almond butter and thin sliced apple or whatever fruit i have on hand

Good point about open faced vs closed bagel. I go open because it lasts longer and more surface area to doctor up.

3 Likes

Add images

Cream cheese, lox,onion,tomato, capers and squeeze of lemon and pepper
3 Likes

Everything, ALWAYS toasted (I love toast! I like a little crunch on the edges! There’s a reason Murray’s gave in!) with scallion cream cheese. That’s it.

Eaten open faced so I can spread the cream cheese evenly vs the usual lumpiness, and so it lasts longer, and also so the cream cheese doesn’t squelch out as I bite (yes, technique. no, I don’t have it.)

At home, also toasted. Usually just with butter, which melts (toasted!) but occasionally with smoked salmon as well.

I’ve never understood tomatoes on bagels. Last week at Murray’s I overheard someone tell a friend - you just ask for the tomatoes, then you take them off and eat them on the side. Hmm.

2 Likes

I’m way on the conservative side: A plain Bagel with an ample schmeer of butter.

2 Likes

And mine would sub an onion bagel for the sesame, use scallion cream cheese, nova and horseradish, no capers!

Horseradish! Nice!

I love toast.

1 Like

Sometimes I make scallion/horseradish cream cheese.

2 Likes

Potent! I would def. cut that delicious idea with a slice of tomato😁

1 Like

There’s that squeeze of lemon again. I use lemon on many things too.

Pumpernickel bagel toasted with whipped butter and sliced radishes, s&p.

Egg bagel, deeply toasted with butter and honey drizzle

1 Like

OH - that sounds great!