Brooklyn pizza ... whole pie, minimal waiting

Thanks. I’ve been reading Eat The World but didn’t know about Eating In Translation. I went to Fei Long in December, but it was earlier in the day, and the food court wasn’t active yet.

Definitely get to Paulie Gee’s when they open. There will probably be a wait since it’s the weekend but shouldn’t be long. The escarole salad is exactly perfect for pizza salad- this one makes a great pairing.
Also not food related but with small child note that there are now a number of really reasonable car services to help get around such as Via, Juno, Get, etc…

1 Like

I’ve been to the original Nargis (same menu) and it was seriously fantastic. The steamed pumpkin dumplings and avocado salad both sound lame on paper but were highlights of the meal. And the kebobs are no joke. Best to go hungry with others, most dishes serve several people

yeah, I think we went as a group several years ago.

Yes! That was an excellent meal and great company :slight_smile: the new location is on my short list for this summer!

Since the original post focussed on pizza I did not consider other things.

Our daughter used to live in Brooklyn so we’ve bought a lot of meals there. There is a lot of good food. This is only the tip of the iceberg, and is based on personal favorites.

If you are in Dumbo for the weekend you really should consider the River Cafe for Saturday lunch. It’s $47 for two courses at a one star Michelin with what may be one of the best views of Manhattan in the city. Same food is $ 200 at night. Afterwards you can hit the waterfront park and carousel. I garantee it will be the highlight of your trip. Need res, so if you’re interested make one now.

In Park Slope you should consider Al di La. It’s a neighborhood kind of place, like eating in somebody’s house, but the food is excellent and it won’t break the bank. No res, so get there early.

If you are looking for the old school experience close to Coney Island I would consider Randazzos over L & B Spumoni Gardens. Randazzos has gotten a little touristy since Bourdain lit it up, but the gravy is good and I like clams. L & B is fun too, but as SR notes the “slice” there is a lot of dough even if it’s not expensive.

For cheap eats around the Barclays/Boerum Hill we like Mile End for Deli (Montreal smoked meat, chicken soup), Halal Kitchen fried chicken & chinese (don’t worry about how the restaurant looks), and Artichoke Basilles for a slice (try the artichoke). In Brooklyn Heights close to Dumbo try Heights Falafel for falafel or shawarma. And in Coney Island you should bite the bullet and get a Nathan’s with kraut, and take a picture while you’re at it.

For dessert, ice cream at Ample Hills, or something baked from Blue Stove. If you like cheesecake, Juniors is famous and is actually pretty good.

Finally places like Fascatis, Luigis and Sals that serve old style Brooklyn pies are pretty much counterserve. I think Sals has a sit down place next door. For us that’s ok because we are usually ordering pies to go. To get something like the Di Faras pie you should order the fresh moozerell. Personally I can’t tell the difference between Luigis and Di Faras, but I’m not a snob.

1 Like

Ya know, as long as it’s fresh Moozerell and San Marzanos from a can, I can’t tell the difference once its baked.

And I don’t think the oven makes a big difference as long as it’s hot enough. Unless of course you like eating coal dust.

Flour and yeast strains, maybe. Sea salt and EVO, I doubt it.

Somebody should do a blind test. I’ll bet most people can’t tell the difference.

People just think something is great because they wait three hours in line and pay through the nose for it.

Another consideration if you go to River Cafe is to get on the NYC water taxi and take a ride over to Manhattan and back.

It’s a great way to get on the River for not a lot of Spumoni.

If you are going to Coney Island Totonno’s is great and checks most of your boxes, but might not fit the minimal waiting criteria. I haven’t been in a few years, but we went right then they opened and got right in.

Yep good pizza. But like you we haven’t been in a while. Last couple of times in that area we’ve gone to Randazzos or Brighton Beach for Russian.

If you check the Google reviews for Totonnos there are more than the usual service and cleanliness complaints recently which gave me cause to pause in recommending them.

Jeez not one pic on this entire thread? Lol

Let’s go folks. We need to ramp this up and get some pizza footage!

I oblige you with this Di Fara’s mushroom slice, from my visit in November 2017. At 4pm on a Wednesday, I didn’t have to wait at all.

di%20fara's%20slice

And I will add another suggestion to the list, Joe and Sal’s, near the Botanic Garden. It looks like it’s been there for decades, but the first Yelp review says it opened in 2016. Very good pizza, very nice people.

1 Like

Juliana’s on Old Fulton Street in Dumbo is one of the best around. Much better than (the more popular and touristy) Grimaldi’s down the street.

Yes, but absolutely railed on the weekends.

Ok here goes:

Luigis South Slope:

Sals Carrol Gardens/Boerum Hill:

640202_59mPPyXcyFxbdrSFKm5D0MFnZA_Kg4-Hmbtzw8L0bVQ

Fascatis

348s

Di Fara

images%20(1)

Motorino

3175387669_5cd93c5c15

Paulie Gees

tmg-article_default_mobile%20(1)

Titonnos

20130409_247571_kubanplain

Juliannas

tumblr_inline_mhkbjhlo0v1qz4rgp

Artichoke Basilles

c700x420

2 Likes

Bringing up the rear, L & B Spumoni

Warning, do not operate lighter than air machinery after a couple pieces of L & B.

Finally, and this is a new opening at the Atlantic Ave station, Rat’s Subway Pizza:

rat-takes-a-2-28204-1442866273-5_dblbig

1 Like

Very true. But, weekends are for tourists!!

Fascatis isn’t what it used to be.