Brooklyn Copper Cookware new 11" rondeau - making duck ragu

When looking at the list of latest posts on Hungry Onion, they often tend to be mostly about eating out in cities far away. Occasionally we talk about cooking, and the cookware and tools we use in the kitchen. Well, here is a post about cooking - using superlative cookware to actually make something delicious!

BCC have begun producing larger diameter pots, and the 11" 5QT rondeau is the perfect size for cooking for a dinner party of 4 or more people. I posted a short review previously on HO of the 11" rondeau:

I made duck ragu for 6 people along with fresh pasta in my new 11" rondeau. The 3mm thick copper pan, which is lined with hand-wiped tin, performed flawlessly. It is ideally suited to braising either on the stovetop or in the oven, and it is built to outlast us all. This is artisanal craftsmanship at its finest - hand-made without compromise in the tradition of the finest French copper cookware from the 19th and 20th centuries.

As you can see in the series of photos, I first browned the duck in the tin-lined rondeau, then sautéed the aromatics, assembled the braise, braised it in the oven, and then shredded the duck meat and combined it with the braising liquid and served it mixed into fresh pasta. It was delicious!

9 Likes

The recipe was adapted from one of my favourite cookbooks: Molly Stevens “All About Braising” pg 203 ‘Duck Ragu with Pasta’.

1 Like

Looks deiscious and thanks for citing the book - I have it but haven’t pulled it out in a while, will have to fix that!

This looks incredible. Thanks for sharing!