Boston, MA. August 2017. Openings and closings

@Pemma Sounds like you know West Medford. I was sad to see the vegan place in the same block as Snappy Patty’s close before I had a chance to try it. Do you have any intel? Did it move or just go out of business? Did anyone here have any experience with it?

Me too and I find myself conflicted between wanting it to have awesome bagels and worrying about being able to fit in my clothes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the information. The location is East Lexington, though.

3 Likes

@fooddabbler, you are so right --> East Lexington <-- my bad, thanks for catching it.

1 Like

I don’t think they are closed. I think they have very limited retail hours and concentrate on catering. My son has gone there often and likes it very much.

embarking on a small project to try assorted Super Beef sandwiches (three way, duh) in the Chelsea-Revere-Lynn-Malden-Wakefield area led me to discover that even though their website is still up, the old school Steve’s Roast Beef in Malden is closed up tight. The day I went neither Google or Yelp said they had closed, though it looks like that’s been remedied now.

Something called Crown Fried Chicken is replacing it, which I assume is another outpost of this halal fried chicken joint that also has locations in Worcester, Leominster, Lynn and Lowell.

1 Like

Hidden Boston says that Fuloon in Malden has closed. I was waiting to go back here after going through a bunch of other places in Malden. Guess I shouldn’t have.

Oh, what a bummer. Outside of a couple of fabulous CH chowdowns though, we are guilty of not going on our own.

that is sad news

singh saab has opened in the old punjabi tadka location on mass ave in arlington

I thought I had mentioned this somewhere, but I went all the way back to the April Boston Open and Closing Threads and didn’t see it.

Sabatino’s, both in Arlington and Brighton have closed due to the owners being sued by their employees for wage theft. Seems that they were not paying for overtime, and sometimes the employees paychecks would bounce. Not good. I never liked them (got horribly sick after eating at the Brighton shop once), but I know there were a ton of folks who liked the Arlington outpost.

I could have sworn that this was posted on the HO. I was not one of their fans.

I know, I’m pretty sure I posted it somewhere, but I just couldn’t find it. No great loss for me either, but I know their Arlington outpost had some fans here.

We enjoyed the pizza at the Arlington location but got bored and hadn’t been for several years. I went to the Waltham location once and found it so depressing that I didn’t return. Then, the health violations and temporary closures by the city sealed the deal. I don’t like to celebrate the hardship of others, but I’ll shed no tears. I’m not naive enough to be shocked if a restaurant has a rodent problem, but they seemed to be pretty lackadaisical about addressing the problem.

Well if you’re lackadaisical about paying your employees, you’re probably not too worried about rodents.

1 Like

Damn. Fuloon was one of the places that I was looking forward to visiting in October. If I can only make it to one Chinese restaurant in Malden, which one would you recommend? It doesn’t have to be Szechuan.

I’d probably pick Go Chi or Golden Garden, the Dongbei style places. the Go Chi menu is a little more foucused.

We went to Go Chi with friends last year, and we all loved it. My wife and I went to Golden Garden tonight. We found it disappointing. The sour cabbage was bland, the Peking ravioli excessively doughy, the House Special Lo Mein lacked focus. Still looking forward to trying Yong Yong.

1 Like

We had great food at Yong Yong: some good dim sum, an oyster pancake, a shrimp, meat and vegetable dish. All four of us were very satisfied. One of the best dim sum dishes was the fried calamari. A smidgen oily, but extremely tasty.

We also had a great meal at Cafe Sushi. And for the first time we tried Gene’s Chinese Flatbread, another winner.

4 Likes

You ate well! Thanks for the report.