Boston Chinese Restaurant - Specializes in Lobster?

We are planning a trip to Boston next month from the Bay Area and was hoping to find a Chinese restaurant that specializes or has good lobster preparations. Thinking scallion/ginger, e-fu noodles or Bay Fung Tong. Any recs? Thanks!

1 Like

Can’t help with current recs, but only the lament that the best lobster I ever had was in the Boston suburb of Wellesley, at Ming Tsai’s dearly departed Blue Ginger. The recipe lives on online, a spicy rendition with garlic and black pepper. Until I had that I didn’t realize how well lobster stands up to spice.

Hopefully there are some HO’s with up-to-date recs.

1 Like

Most of the Boston Chinatown old school Cantonese restaurants specialize in seafood, so twin lobster specials ar we’re pretty common. I would venture into one of the seafood restaurants like Jumbo, GaGa or New Golden Gate. I haven’t had dinner in Boston Chinatown for a while, so I can’t offer recent experiences. Plus with the inflation these days, I don’t know if these are true deals or discussions anymore.

If you find yourself in Malden or Quincy, which are two suburbs with significant Asian populations, you might find a few places there too.

1 Like

It’s been so long since I’ve eaten in Chinatown and so much has changed in the pandemic. So I’d do a little more digging before I just accepted this recommendation … but Peach Farm used to always have excellent seafood preparations.

3 Likes

Chinese, no. But Jasper White’s buttery, herby Pan-Roasted Lobster, now at Summer Shack, is a renowned, pricey preparation worth every drop of cholesterol. The bread at SS is not worthy of the fantastic sauce. We bring a really good artisan loaf, sliced, to mop up every drop.

1 Like

Peach Farm in Chinatown still does a very good ginger and scallion lobster. I remember an excellent green curry lobster dish at Myers and Chang, however looking at their website it does not appear to be on the menu currently.

Lobster is a great specialty to seek out if visiting this area, however be forewarned that prices are very high this year. Also, I am sure you are already aware, but coming from the Bay area, Boston area Asian food is probably not going to wow you.

3 Likes

5 Spices House is running lobster specials at both their Cambridge and Chinatown locations:

4 Likes

I was in Gourmet China House on Beach Street in Chinatown recently, and its live tanks had Maine lobsters; there are several lobster preparations on the menu. It’s a Taiwanese place from the folks behind the very popular Gourmet Dumpling House across the street.

I’m more of a fan of Dumpling Cafe around the corner on Washington, and can confirm that its xia long bao are still superior to the ones at Gourmet Dumpling House and Gourmet China House. In its defense, Gourmet China House served me a lamb with chili pepper and Chinese celery dish that had the best, freshest-tasting lamb I’ve had in a Chinese restaurant in a long time: superb. I want to go back there.

3 Likes

While I’m not a huge fan of the restaurant, CK Shanghai in Wellesley checks your lobster box. Lobster is one of CK’s specialties, going back to his days ant New Shanghai in Chinatown.

The lobster dishes are all listed under Menu|Specials:
https://ckshanghai.com/

These days, at least in Toronto and Vancouver. Lobster prepared with Scallions and ginger is so ‘par-se’, the flavour profile on the bland side. The ’ Salted Duck egg yolk ’ version is way more flavourful…sticky, gooey, aromatic and finger-licking good. Also, sauteed with 'Maggi Sauce ’ is also a very popular choice!

1 Like

par- se? Not familiar. What does that mean?

In all fairness, Vancouver and Toronto have way better Cantonese/Chinese food scenes than Boston has (and generally, much better food scenes all around). There are a few salted egg-yolky dishes but they tend to be paired with simpler foods like bitter melon that doesn’t appeal to the average non-Chinese customer. You don’t see it much and so you don’t see a huge demand for it. I try to make them myself at home, since it’s I can’t find dishes like this elsewhere. I do recall a few years ago, a restaurant had a salted egg yolk crab fried rice and it was delicious! I can’t remember which restaurant, but it was an interesting experiment, but sadly it did not catch on.

1 Like

I think passé.

1 Like

Oops! Typo error…passe!

Thanks!