Bon Voyage! [San Francisco, Mission]

Bon Voyage is a Tiki-ish bar from the Bon Vivants, who also run the excellent but oft-crowded cocktail bar Trick Dog in the Mission and rooftop bar Charmaine’s in the Proper Hotel in Mid-Market. It’s on Valencia next to Piri Pica.

I stopped in here for a late Sunday lunch. It was nice and quiet in the early afternoon.

Their menu is kind of Asian fusion or Chinese American, which kind of fits with the Tiki-ish theme I guess. I had the salt and pepper gulf prawns ($19) and the crunchy Chinese cauliflower ($9).

The gulf prawns were quite good. Prawns were perfectly cooked (just a little past raw) and tender, and were lightly battered with a salty spicy salt and pepper seasoning. The cauliflower was excellent. They were marinated or coated in a curry like seasoning mix and lightly fried so that the flower part was slightly crispy. Really tasty. Both dishes came with a nice aioli, which was a bit unusual for the shrimp in particular but added a cool tanginess. The food was good but a bit on the expensive side for the size.

Pictures of the food:

I also had a few cocktails from their extensive menu. Had a Bananerac ($14), which was like a Sazerac but with a subtle banana flavor, a Sherry Mary ($14), which was a special on the weekend lunch menu and was a nice dry bloody Mary with sherry and aquavit, and a Cafe Baba ($14), which was a tiki drink with fernet and orgeat. All were quite good, as to be expected from a bar from the owners of Trick Dog. Like Trick Dog the cocktails are a bit on the expensive side with most clocking in at $14-$15.

Pictures of the cocktails:

Food menu:

Will be back to try the black rice “hangover congee” if its still on the menu.

5 Likes

Thanks for the report! If you do try the black rice congee, can you ask them what variety of black rice they use? The black rice I’ve seen before cost an arm and a leg so I am curious where they source it from. (Obviously their black rice congee seems to reflect that cost also.)

1 Like