Bologna--Osteria Bottega

This restaurant is on just about every list about Bologna and, in my humble opinion, it lived up to the hype. We shared a platter of prosciutto, mortadella and salami.
The plate for two went unfinished by the four of us. I think it was the best prosciutto I’ve ever tasted, so sweet and porky. None of us loved the salami though. Then we decided on four pasta dishes. Ranked in ascending order, they were: tagliatelle al ragù, (basic and classic) tagliatelle with culatello di Zibello (the culatello di Zibello is a very special piece of cured ham and there was a mound of it cut julienne over the top of the egg pasta), tortelli with Jerusalem artichoke sauce (stunning, light, ricotta stuffed pasta with a purée underneath) and the maltagliatti, a short wide noodle and pieces of tender asparagus with a simple veal and asparagus sauce. Each dish was really super and we drank a local wine called Naigarten from Gradizzolo in the Emilian hills, which paired perfectly with them. The tab was €100 plus €24 for the bottle of wine.

3 Likes

Thanks for this! It was closed when I was there, and I would like to return to Bologna. Very much liked the university feel and diverse population in this town, as I recall it. And the food, always the food!