Blue claws at Belford Co-op

I haven’t been to the retail market in 20 years. Been reading how the commercial guys dredge the crabs buried in the mud during December. The crabs are said to be loaded with meat for the hibernation. Does anyone know if they sell by the dozen or just bushels? This place used to sell sea robins (trash fish) for 25 cents apiece :slight_smile:

Check out @corvette_johnny 's post here:

He was looking last week for some one to go halfsies on a bushel of no 1 jimmies.

There’s an article about dredging up the blue crabs on app.com today…

Here’s the link to the article: http://www.app.com/longform/news/local/people/2016/12/10/blue-crabs-nj-fishing/94818014/

Yes this article got me thinking of those hot steaming spice crabs. I didn’t know they are catching them this late in the year. The only places still selling are the Asian markets.

I got dredged crabs, well what I assume to be dredged since it was Decemberish, a few years back from Jody’s. I was not impressed as they looked, and tasted, muddy. Maybe it was my batch, so if anyone takes the plunge please let us know.

Was it difficult to wash off the mud? I know that a simple hosing won’t do much. Scrubbing with a brush is better but a lot of work. Ouch :sweat:

Here’s one for you…

1 Like

I got dredged crabs, well what I assume to be dredged since it was Decemberish, a few years back from Jody’s. I was not impressed as they looked, and tasted, muddy. Maybe it was my batch, so if anyone takes the plunge please let us know.

@corvette_johnny do you still want to go in on those crabs? Also, any thoughts on the crabs tasting muddy? I’m happy to wash it thoroughly but don’t want muddy tasting ones! :smiley:

I think Corvette is out of town. If Belford will sell just a dozen, I can sample them this Saturday before buying bulk later next week. I can also get some idea on what they are charging for entire bushel (# 2 large or #1 jimmies). It is funny that females are normally priced lower but if the main buyers are mostly Chinese, they may be at premium.

Now is that PC ? Especially from someone who can’t navigate Asian Market ?

The APP article even stated that most of the crab buyers at Belford this time of the year are Chinese. Most other folks don’t prize the roe and rather buy the largest crabs available.:grinning:

1 Like

Suggest you stick to lox and bagels … no cleaning involved. Suggest you visit Acme on Friday no crabs there :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Sorry I wasn’t clear. The meat itself tasted “muddy” to me. Not muddy on the exterior.

It was a few years ago, and maybe my experience is not the norm but it stopped me from buying them out of (traditional) season.

That’s why I’ll try to pick up a dozen before wasting money on bushel. I wouldn’t want to serve my guests muddy crabs on Christmas.

Here is the scoop:
I bought 1 dozen crabs today at 1PM at 20$@dozen. I asked for 6 #1 jimmies and 6 ladies.
the cost for bushel of #1 crabs is $100 which was sold out when I got there. I cooked them when I got home to see whether it was worth buying a bushel. I steamed the males with Old Bay and made crabs Cantonese (scallions, ginger, black beans, meat and egg sauce) with the she crabs. My family was more critical than I (which tasted fine to me) who said the crab were not as sweet as the ones from summer. OK, but at least they were not muddy tasting. My guess is the crabs were not buried in mud yet because of warm waters. I will buy more next week. If anyone wants half a bushel, let me know and I will try to reserve it for Xmas.

2 Likes