Bistro D’Azur [South Orange, NJ]

We went to recently opened French Mediterranean restaurant Bistro D’Azur for the first time and had a sensational dinner. The restaurant is beautifully designed, the food is sensational, and the service is friendly. We were pleasantly surprised to see one of our former servers from the now closed Tillie’s working there. I highly recommend this restaurant. We have to find a way to fit it into our tight restaurant rotation. We shared 3 excellent appetizers including a special of scallops topped with foie gras in a carrot ginger puree, and a fig reduction; lobster crepe with chardonnay butter, melted leeks and mushrooms (split portion pictured); roasted beet salad with baked goat cheese, arugula, fennel, and radish in an orange vinaigrette. For entrees I had melt in your mouth roasted lamb rib chops, chermoulah, pearl couscous, squash, dried fruit, and almonds. Mrs. P had pan seared diver scallops paella with saffron calaspara rice, chicken, chorizo, escargot, peas, pimento, and tomato buerre. It all went great with a 2014 Mario Bazan cabernet.

8 Likes

Wow those lamb ribs look outrageous! Those are some great pics. If that food tasted half as good as it looks, I bet you’re in good shape right now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Johnny. The lamb ribs were awesome.
You’re Mexican dinner looked really tasty as well.

Always in search of French restaurants within reasonable driving distance from our house. Hadn’t heard of this one, so thanks for posting about it, Eli! Excellent menu. Putting Bistro d’Azur on my go to list.

1 Like

You’re welcome Roz. It’s excellent. I think you will enjoy it.

We loved Bistro D’Azur so much that we went back a week later. Besides the excellent lobster crepe, we shared an excellent appetizer special of fresh yellowfin tuna nicoise, as well as mushroom risotto with butternut squash. I had an awesome NY strip steak au poivre, with the most fragrant red
peppercorns. It also came with spinach with garlic confit and foraged mushrooms and roasted potatoes. Mrs. P had an excellent special of pan seared branzino topped with peppers, onions, and fennel, and spinach with chick peas on the side. It all went great with Cooper and Thief red blend.

9 Likes

Always enjoy your photos and am jealous of your culinary adventures. The Tuna Nicoise photo leaves me with a wide range of feelings.

2 Likes

Thank you @KAOSKitchen :relaxed: I appreciate it.

We had dinner last night at Bistro d’Azur. Arriving just after 8 p.m., we were not surprised that just two days after New Year’s Eve, it wasn’t very busy with only five other tables occupied. The spacious room has attractive décor and comfortable seating.

The meal started with a choice of rolls from a pleasing assortment. To go with the rolls, a tray containing butter, olive oil, and a black olive tapenade was placed on the table.

For appetizers, I had the Seared Hudson Valley Foie Gras, and Mr. R. had the Tuna Niçoise which was one of the evening’s specials. His main course was the NY Strip Steak while mine was the Roasted Lamb Rib Chops. To end the meal, Ice Cream + a Double Espresso for him and the Tarte Tatin for me.

Mr. R. brought his Coravin and poured two glasses of a superb Côte du Rhône.

This was a truly fine meal. Every dish was perfectly prepared, attractively plated and, most important, delicious. Service provided by Joyce was excellent. When we were almost finished, Chef Krug came out and stopped by our table, so we were able to tell him how wonderful his food is.

The only “problem” we had was getting to the restaurant. Our GPS took us there via a ridiculously cockamamie route. I knew there had to be a better way. Turned out there was. As it happens, the hostess/reservationist Valerie lives in Linden, so she takes the GSP north as we do and gave us a far better way to go home. She even wrote the directions out for us!

Thanks, Eli, for letting us know about Bistro d’Azur!

The photo set for this dinner can be viewed on my Flickr here.

4 Likes

I am so glad that you enjoyed it Roz! This is one of our favorite new restaurants. It is the complete package with a beautiful design, excellent food, and service. We are actually going this Sunday with some friends.

1 Like

Your review came at a perfect time! We have a sitter arranged and wanted to try a new restaurant outside of our normal scope. Heading here tomorrow night. Cannot wait!

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to your review! You can park in that lot across the street. Don’t worry about the sign.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! Any good spots in the area to get a cocktail before dinner?

1 Like

You’re welcome. Sorry, I’m not really familiar with the area. The restaurant is BYO so be sure to bring a nice bottle of wine :wine_glass:

2 Likes

Sadly we had to cancel for tonight since our babysitter is sick :frowning::frowning::frowning:!!!

1 Like

Oh. So Sorry to hear that :sob:

1 Like

That’s too bad! Hopefully, you’ll get there soon.

1 Like

We had another fabulous dinner with some friends at Bistro D’Azur.
We had appetizers of grilled octopus and beef carpaccio with burrata, watercress, radish, and basil remoulade. For entrees we all loved a special of tuna au poivre, and the grilled swordfish spanakorizo. We had an excellent dark chocolate torte and chocolate truffles for dessert. It all went great with some fantastic wines including Duckhorn Merlot, Mario Bazan cabernet, and Kunde red zinfandel.

4 Likes

We had another excellent dinner at Bistro D’Azur. Besides the always excellent lobster crepe, we had tuna cru with avocado mousse, radish, sea beans and soy gelee. For entrees I had an excellent lavender honey duck breast with delicious braised red cabbage, root vegetable puree, and spiced carrots. Mrs. P had roasted black bass with braised fennel, leeks, mussels, bouillabaisse reduction, rouille, and crostini. It all went great with an excellent 2011 Chateauneuf Du Pape.

6 Likes

We had another outstanding dinner at Bistro D’Azur. We enjoyed melt in your mouth rare roasted venison loin; monkfish bouillabaisse; grilled octopus; lobster crepe; and awesome mushroom soup with confit pork belly, pumpkin seeds and Lebanese 7 spice. It all went great with an excellent Shaw and Smith Shiraz.

4 Likes