Best potatoes for oven potato wedges

I have very little experience with potatoes because I rarely if ever eat them but a craving for oven potato wedges has struck. What’s the best potato for this technique? Russet?

Russet if you desire crunchy exterior fluffy interior.

One of my favorite preparations is to season the wedges with salt and pepper, sprinkle with ground rosemary and coat in olive oil. I always roast a few whole garlic cloves with the potatoes. Just before taking out of the oven I dot with goat cheese and sprinkle with paprika for color … it’s a meal in of itself.

3 Likes

Good to know. Cook’s Illustrated recommends low starch types for roasting (red skin) - but crunchy on the outside fluffy on the inside sounds great! I reflexively use red or white skin potatoes I guess.

1 Like

I will use Yukon golds if that is what I have on hand creamier on the inside but they crisp up nicely.

1 Like

Whatever type you choose, I recommend nuking them for a few minutes (not to cook through, just to soften slightly) and then roughing up the cut surfaces a bit. They will get much crispier in the oven that way!

6 Likes

As far as cutting the potatoes . I have been using a new technique . Rather than cutting the potato all the way through with a knife leaving smooth edges . I put the knife into the potato part way and twist the knife breaking off rough uneven pieces . This creates uneven knooks and crannies in the potato piece for crispness and goodness .

4 Likes

Wow that sounds perfect! The plan was potatoes for Sunday dinner so meal to itself is the idea.

I used that technique last time I made roasted red potatoes. Boil and shake in the pot.

Yes, maybe for making roast potatoes but oven fries or wedges require the russets as chowdom said, or golds if not.

Gotcha. But help me out. What’s the difference between roasting and ‘oven frying’?

For roasted potatoes I generally think of small potatoes roasted with garlic, rosemary, but not meant necessarily to be crunchy., although some are. Oven fries are meant to be more like french fries but oven roasted to be healthier.

These are just recipe examples and not necessarily endorsed by the poster!!! :grinning:

This is one of those things you just can’t really go wrong with. I use a 50/50 olive oil to melted butter ratio as well as whatever spices (chopped garlic a must) that I have on hand, and always a handful of grated parmesean cheese. Lately though I have been using truffle oil in lieu of the olive oil and ohhhhhhhhh how decedent.

1 Like

Thanks! I roast mine so the small ones are crusty, if not crunchy. I can see that the shape of the piece would be important.

1 Like

Actually what you didn’t realize that you want instead of roasted wedges are crash hot potatoes. Use little new potatoes. Don’t be shy with the olive oil or salt. Fantastic combination of textures and similar yet somehow much better than just roasted wedges.

3 Likes

Hmm…that looks fantastic. Decisions, decisions.

Potatoes are such good food!!! I’ve made a version of these - they rock!!!

2 Likes

These are ridiculously good too … I make them all the time

2 Likes

I’m a fan of this recipe. The ingredient list is missing, weirdly, but here it is:

4 large Idaho potatoes
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.

And I make crashed potatoes a lot, 'cause they are awesome.

4 Likes

Wedges of Yukons or red potatoes. Tossed in Olive oil, s&p, powdered rosemary, dried thyme, lemon zest, minced roasted garlic, paprika. Hot out of the oven a splash of lemon juice.

Russets tossed in onion soup mix and melted butter.

2 Likes