Best Hot Dog for BBQ 7/4

Small backyard 7/4 gathering I’m tossed between my personal favorite Hebrew National or newer one Nathan’s.
Tried Sabrett & Ball Park the first is only good boiled in dirty water lol

3 Likes

Tried any natural casing dogs that are available in your area?

1 Like

Hebrew National is the only frank I buy. However, I never get them in the packages sold in supermarkets. Instead, I get the fresh ones on strings. The Pickled Herring Deli, in Marlboro, carries them. Since they are sold individually, you can get as many as you need.

4 Likes

Hands-down I’d go with Best’s!!

1 Like

Nope suggest any?

Of course

What type are they?

At Best’s, all we make are PREMIUM all beef franks. We don’t add poultry or pork and we never use any by-products. We offer a range of sizes of both skinless and natural casing varieties. IRI and Nielsen data suggests that Best’s hot dogs consistently rank amongst the top selling brands in the Metro NY retail market.

I grew up eating these, as my dad was in charge of the Little League concession stand. He’d go to Newark (where they’re made) and buy cases of them at the start of the season, including a case for our house. We had them on the grill all summer long.

For the serious hot dog lovers reading, Best’s were the final choice after insane taste-testing by my friend Eric when he opened Amazing Hotdog in Verona (long closed).

2 Likes

If you can find it, Conecuh Sausage, the best smoked sausage in the world. It’s perfect grilled. They also make hot dogs now.

1 Like

I got to Amazing Hotdog a few times when I lived in Montclair. Great dogs, but also great fries.

1 Like

Yes they were! Took Eric a long time to figure those out too! And every once in a while he’ll re-create AHD in his home kitchen… :blush:

1 Like

Thumanns natural casing for a pork/beef dog
Best’s for all beef.

Both fantastic, I like the milder Thumann’s these days.

Thumanns should have the big packs in Costco, Best’s used to be found in the supermarkets but I’ve been noticing a lack of the better, natural casing, varieties lately.

Wennings in Long Branch for the Max’s dog (also beef/pork mix) …are they open to the public or just a distributor these days?

1 Like

I guess @NotJrvedivici is working hard at his day job so I’ll fill in for him. Delicious Orchards Spicy Hot Dogs for the win.

3 Likes

Continuing my desperate search for natural casing hot dogs here in South OC CA I’ve learned that Whole Foods sells Fork In The Road dogs in sheep casings. It may be the only choice in my area. Anyone familiar with them?

Google also says WF sells Feltman’s but maybe only in the east.

Lol thank you sir! If nobody has ever tried they are by far my favorite dog! Nice size and great flavor with a little kick!

2 Likes

Thanks that’s great information

1 Like

As for dirty water, today we saw mention of this kerfuffle on a major news website (three letters dot com), all in fun celebrating upcoming Monday in the headline’s pun:

1 Like

As mentioned on other threads, but worth a repost…

Will ruin you for all other dogs. Sabretts or Hebrew National for beef.

4 Likes

I found these HBF hot dogs available only at 3 one pound packages for $40

@KAOSKitchen Is that what you pay? Or is there a better deal out there I missed?

I had an office nearby where they stored these carts, if you ever saw their sanitation methods & how food & condiments were stored you would run away from these carts.
Amazing no one has died eating these “ delicacies “.

1 Like