Berkeley: random news and notes

A post was split to a new topic: [Berkeley] Saha, Yemeni

Three Twins now has a brick and mortar shop on Fourth Street.

Ippudo is opening June 2nd!

Pompette is open in the old Cafe Rouge Spot. I haven’t been yet, but I’m anxious to sit at that bar again!

Mid-July now:

A post was split to a new topic: [Berkeley, CA] Lucia’s Pizzeria

A post was split to a new topic: [Berkeley, CA] Barclay’s Restaurant and Pub

Intermezzo’s reincarnation- Mezzo, is open.

7/28, 2 weeks before Cal starts school.

1 Like

Chick’n Rice is open on Center Street serving Khao Mun Gai two ways, poached and fried:

Enoteca Mediterraneo looks like an interesting neighborhood tapa/ wine bar with reasonable prices on Solano Ave run by a Persian gentleman.

Ooh, and open for lunch, too. I’ll try to make it sometime this week.

The place looks more like a real snack bar for the locals than any of the glitzy ‘tapas bar’ that opened all around the Bay Area in the last few years. If I don’t live so far away I’d be there too.

A post was split to a new topic: [Berkeley, CA] Enoteca Mediterraneo

Rice and Bones is now open inside Wurster Hall at Cal. Got some fancy grass fed beef and organic chicken pho. From Charles Phan.

I’m so glad I saw this, because I had an eye appointment next door today. Just had a chicken bun (normally $4, but they charged $3). No line at 1:30. The bun was delicious – gingery with a generous amount of filling.

Sliver Pizzeria has closed in Berkeley, and is relocating to a TBD location.

I thought I saw this here, but it’s not in this thread so I’ll add
A branch of Bonchon Korean fried chicken opened at 2050 Berkeley way. They are not doing takeout yet and we’re quite bus when I stopped by.

Also this week, the Berkeley branch of the Bonchon Korean fried chicken chain opened.

https://bonchon.com/korean-fried-chicken-berkeley-ca/

I found a parking space out front yesterday with time on the meter and checked out the menu. I was hoping to just get a chicken leg to sample, but a “small” portion was five legs for $13 (I think). I can’t eat five drumsticks, and I have a mild case of flu, so I passed. It was pretty busy at 1:00 PM, and the non-chicken dishes on the tables looked great, most of them also in the $13 range. Nice room.