BEER (2017-2023) - What did we drink (today/recently)?

Last night shortly after my arrival here in Krakow, Poland. The APA (left) is better than the lager.

Managed to make a photo of the taps (of the 2 beers I had). “Restaurant” was constantly busy with people blocking the taps and my camera’s battery was dead. It died directly after this photo.

Next 2 beers after the above, at the same place. Litovel is a Czech Weissbier. The other is also nice, a Czech lager. Czech beers are consider more “superior” here, according to Poles.

Back at the lodging. A nice wheat IPA from a Krakow brewery. I haven’t had one of this quality at home, which says a lot.

1 Like

Interesting remark. Do you agree?

So how’s Meat & Go? I think you aren’t into restaurant posts, but would like to know more about the Krakow restaurants scene! Hope you don’t mind writing a paragraph or 2 on the places you have visited in the Europe board.

My last time to Krakow, I was 26 and don’t remember a thing about the food I ate there. I only remember I like the city a lot, pretty laid back, I spent my days just sitting in the square watching people and the birds. I used to be a big fan of Kieslowski’s films.

Krakow, along with Warsaw, is a craft beer mecca for Poles. I have had mostly good craft beer here so far. I think Poles prefer typical Czech beers over their own industrial/massed produced kind.

My book says Warsaw is the food capital and Krakow is a a food paradise by Poles standards. The food scene here is massive now. Being the most touristy city in Poland also helps.

1 Like

From last thursday. Wild Beer brewery usually has good stuff. Their imperial stout with caramelised miso and tonka beans was nice (and pricey!) but I could hardly taste the miso. What are tonka beans supposed to taste like anyway? I have just read up on tonka beans. Interesting. It is also used in place of vanilla. I have never had it.

Got a 1 litre of Easy Answers IPA freshly tapped for me to take home.

Not my first time but it’s my last bottle. Gonna make it to Stralsund one day and drink all their beers on tap. We have plans to see some more Hansa towns in northern Germany in a near future. Not a region that is popular with foreign tourists, which is too bad -for them.

We didn’t a lot of beer back in our trip in Hong Kong. Most restaurants impose tea. (I have complained about it here).

This was a beer from Harbin, and drank with a “competition rice bowl”! Harbin is China’s northernmost province. It has the word “win” or “cheers” in the bowl. Quite fun. Couldn’t say the beer was great, a light taste and mild.

With our stopover in Finland, we had these in the restaurant Juuri.

Ohrana - draft beer form Helsinki with quite a character

Teijo IPA 6,9% Mathidedalin Kylapanimo, Mathildedal

Husband’s choice, I didn’t particularly like it, with a bitter note.

1 Like

Had some Japanese beer this weekend. Coedo Shiro and Shikkoku (black lager)

Shikkoku is very dark, strong caramel note, with nut aroma, bitter finish.

Coedo Shiro - blond golden cloudy appearance, fruity and floral aroma, sweet malts. Refreshing!

Had Leffe Crystal yesterday - medium bitterness, yeasty flavours.

2 Likes

Would like to visit that pub in Helsinki if I go that way again. Last summer I took the catamaran from Tallinn to get to Helsinki spending the afternoon just drinking beer.

Had several Coedo beers in Japan but don’t remember these. Must be new stuff by them.

Btw, Leffe is more or less mass produced beer these days. One of the brands now owned by InBev Belgium.

I’m behind on beer photos again.

At 12% ABV quite boozy, thick, and rich.

I was at Menu 66 here in Tulsa and had a SA Porch Rocker to go with my smoked salmon abovcado toast. Very nice combo.

Last night I broke into my stash and enjoyed a bottle of Sierra Nevada Big Foot Barleywine ale from 2014. Very tasty. Still a bit young.

In Kathmandu taking the preparation for our upcoming 20 day trek very seriously. Not great even by mass produced Asian lager standards. Though it was better than the Sherpa beer I had afterwards.

Kirin we had in the Japanese noodle shop yesterday.

1 Like

When I was actively trading beer, we shipped quite a few 20’ containers of Kirin Ichiban from SoCal to Japan. The beer was (and still is) bottled by the Budweiser brewery for domestic distribution. I never got to do a taste comparison of the USA brewed vs the real Japan product.

I always chuckle when I think of shipping Kirin to Japan. Somewhat akin to selling ice to the Eskimo.

2 Likes

All the beers today were nice. I’m so lucky to have a good pub under 10km away, in the big city. In the old days it was a 2 hour journey from the small town where I live.

Bourbon barrel aged “black barley wine”. There are also a non barrel aged version and I have had them both multiple times, always on tap. Thinking of checking out the bottled version next time. Bottled versions are even better sometimes.

1 Like

My last night in Nepal. I’m not sure why Belgian beer is so readily available in Nepal but I’m sure glad it is. First decent beer for months.

download

bottle_rouge

2 Likes

Wow, how nice, in a non-beer drinking country. Maybe some Belgian saw an opportunity and imported their beers.

I scoff at Duvel (mass produced and not my favourite style). Chimay is fine. But if I found myself in Nepal I would happily drink Duvel, of course.

Duvel is one of my favorites! Light, effervescent, and a little bitter, deceptively strong.

Had a glass of Boulevardier Vastness of Space from Cellarmaker in SoMa, SF. An imperial stout aged in barrels that once were used for aging boulevardier cocktails. Cellarmaker often has *Vastness of Space on the menu, where they age one of their imperial stouts (Vastness of Space) in barrels that have housed different beverages previously. In addition to the boulevardier they had a Vastness of Space aged in Manhattan barrels, and I’ve had one that was aged in a dessert wine barrel before as well. Nice tasty rich kind of thick imperial stout with a hint of boulevardier taste. Wasn’t very strong in the boulevardier department but I could maybe taste a little of the bourbon bittersweet flavor left from it.

1 Like