BBQ HODown in Freehold NJ???

I thought it odd at the time. Living in Freehold, The Cabin was always just a decent burger and beer joint to eat at before karaoke in nearby Adelphia. Times change

A few years before Covid, The Cabin started doing BBQ. They got the equipment and a real deal pitmaster, but I only found out all this recently. I had some of the best burnt ends I’d ever had there. Made me wish I had time to sit and eat a rack of ribs. But, don’t take my word for it

Join me for a BBQ feast at 1 pm on Saturday June 11, 2022 at The Cabin 984 RT-33 Freehold

https://thecabinnj.com/

For me, the timing is right, but if you’re still sheltered and masked this event is not for you. I can’t wait to shake everyone’s hand and chow down ( we can use chow now since Chowhound closed ;o)

Picture of me in the 70s so you can recognize me there:

7 Likes

Love to meet you all but I am still undergoing some health related protocols
I should know bu 6/8 if I am good to go.

2 Likes

We used to go to The Cabin occasionally ages ago. No HoDown for us as we aren’t doing any indoor restaurant dining. Jersey Shore BBQ E. Brunswick is our go to for bbq. (Ate inside before Covid; after, curbside pick-up until vaccinated and then take-out.) Perhaps next time we want bbq, we’ll try take-out from The Cabin.

1 Like

I had no idea they have an actual pitmaster! Count me in! And I must say, you haven’t changed a bit since your 70’s pic!

2 Likes

@Ragtopssk - Hope you’re well

@RGR - I remember reading that you are not dining indoors yet

@heidicooksandbakes - Glad to have you aboard! Also, please get some glasses immediately, or at least before you drive :laughing:

( @heidicooksandbakes might I suggest a follow up appointment with your optometrist )

@seal you can count me in/out depending on the weather. If it’s rainy I’ll be there, if it’s not you will have to come pull my ass off the beach, which I don’t think you can do. lol

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Would love to but we have a schedule conflict… Thanks for setting this up; hopefully we can see folks at a future one.

2 Likes

As of now there is a 30% chance I’m there!

2 Likes

I’m calling it like Babe Ruth. It will be rainy/overcast for the HoDown next Saturday. See you there :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Scheduling conflict however I am looking forward to getting together again next time. Look forward to hearing the reviews!

2 Likes

My attendance is now in question, I’m not sure I’ll be able to make it. So I’m saying no, but will reach out if things work themselves out. Darn!

According to the weather people, it may get cloudy and maybe rain later - woo!

I will be there at 1. I even have a date - BBQ eating champ of my retirement community. If she remembers her teeth, we will eat a lot of BBQ :grin:

6 Likes

Well this far the weather app has been useless. True to my word if it was nice I would be at the…….

Enjoy everyone!!!

3 Likes

Hard to sum up the bbq here. For starters we had an order of burnt ends. This is listed as an appetizer and costs $15.95.

While this was really tasty, I am still bristling at the nerve they have to charge sixteen bucks for so little food. This is BBQ, not nouvelle cuisine.

Next we shared a $24.95 spare rib platter.

On the plus side, the ribs were smoked properly and had good texture and flavor, but the bbq sauce was just too sweet. The teeny plastic cup of greens were possibly the best thing I ate there, but the beans tasted of … I’m thinking Dr. Pepper soda? In any event they were also waaaay too sweet. Came with a side too so we got onion rings ( sysco. )

Kudos to all for avoiding this one. Just too many better BBQ joints around to pay this much for this stuff. Oh well.

6 Likes

Well two comments (but I’m not a huge bbq guy so forgive my ignorance) but the size of ribs seems “ok” but WTF with those sides? You literally had to share a roll? 1 pickle slice? That seems pretty skimpy to me. Also looks way over sauced to me. Hope it was good! I prefer to add my own with a little kick to it.

2 Likes

Any plans to try Mutiny BBQ in AP?

2 Likes

I think the platter was probably intended for one person, not two. And I had thought “burnt ends” were like New Orleans “debris”, but evidently not. (And the pricing seems inspired by Aarzu’s lamb chop appetizer.)

4 Likes

Thanks for taking one for this HO.

2 Likes

Burnt ends in the KC of my youth were the end pieces of brisket and sat on a tray on the side of the slicer right at the start of the line. And they were free, along with pickles and Wonder Bread. We would always make an extra sandwich for breakfast the next morning :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes