[BBC] The bakeries of Bamako in Mali

I’m a bread eater and was surprised to learn on my holiday to Morocco that bread is served at every meal. In the West many “Moroccan” dishes are served with couscous. That is not the case in Morocco.

Bread is not a traditional food in Mali but they do make it and eat it. Hit the link for the photos.

2 Likes

Thank you. I love this sort of thing!

Me also. In Morocco many women still make and form their own dough at home and bring it to the village or the medina bakeries to be baked (for a small fee). I constantly ran into someone carrying a big tray with a cloth on top of it. Under the cloth is risen formed dough.

If I go near this place in Germany I will check out the bread museum. Almost went a few years back but there was no lodging in town on short notice.

Germany takes the honour for ‘best breads in the world’ catergory (according to yours truly). Bread museum in Ulm, Germany. (IIRC it’s also the birth place of Einstein)
http://www.museum-brotkultur.de/index.php/english

Thanks. So interesting to see the process. And loved the idea of getting the motorbike after delivering 50,000 loaves!

1 Like

I wish you hadn’t written that. Now I will be obsessing about visiting Germany. We had a German-inspired bakery open in Baltimore recently, and I feel their more heartier-style breads aren’t quite there yet, flavorwise or texturally, but I have no reference to compare them to. Sometimes my bread knife can’t even slice through the crust, it’s so oddly leathery.

Odd that the crust is leathery. German bread tends to be crusty, heavy and substantial. In some regions the addition of whole cumin seeds in rye bread is normal.

Whenever I look at German bread (even if it’s only a photo) I get the same feeling as I do when looking at cheese! Hope you can make a trip to Germany (or Austria) someday and try their wonderful bread. Do an image search for bread in Germany and you have an idea.

Found this photo which shows where in Germany which types of bread are most eaten. I’m a fan of rye bread, but even wheat sourdough in Germany is great.

CNN Travel has an article about German bread.

2 Likes