Basil is Wrapping Up

Go figure, eh? :wink:

1 Like

Nice basil plants. Plenty of flowering.

I usually just let them flower out and dry up in the ground so I can harvest the seeds and save them for my next planting!

1 Like

Ahh bummer! I’m in SoCal and grow basil on the porch year-round. Usually two types. I’m so used to having it there, I don’t know what I’d do without it. It gets put into so many things throughout the week. Hope you’re able to enjoy it in the form of pesto from the freezer (or something similar) in the colder months!

I enjoy it in the form of out-of-season produce all year. But nothing beats stepping outside and picking it from a patio pot, blending Thai basil with Genovese.

Ahh I’d love to find some Thai basil around here. Do you grow it from seed?

I grow Genovese from seed year round but always have a second “wild card” plant as well. Right now it’s purple basil. Last plant was Greek basil, which I’d never tried before, but it was exceptionally hardy and grows in this cute compact topiary like bush. The leaves were small and spicy but subtle, great for throwing handfuls into salads or grains. It might be my new favorite. Of course now I can’t find another plant, after the old one died while I was in the hospital.

1 Like

I buy it at Home Depot or a local nursery that carries a great assortment of organic herb plants and veggies each spring.

I have Thai, lemon, Genovese and spicy globe growing outside in containers. Love Thai in salads, but I think lemon basil is my very favorite.

1 Like

Could NOT find Thai (plants) anywhere…They got snapped up too early for me

I harvested most of the sweet basil last weekend, but what’s left is still going strong, actually - there are even some little shoots coming up around the sides of the pot (my “garden” is containers on the front porch). I only gathered about half of the Thai basil. It’s the first year I’ve grown it and I could never bring myself to clip all the flowers since they are so pretty and the bees are so crazy about them. Frozen part of the haul in cubes, now have to finish making pesto and syrups. Already did the mint syrup and wormwood infusion.

1 Like

Wormwood infusion? Oh, your garden looks like mine, then. One of my friends called me a “pot head” earlier this year. HA HA HA. Mine are on my deck, tho’.

1 Like

They are super easy to start from seed.

What, no one grows it over winter indoors, under lights?

Oh yeah, BTDT…The family business on Mom’s side and all. But I didn’t want 15 or 20 plants, or the transplanting, or the hardening off. I let my local garden center take care of all that nonsense for me, so I’m able to buy a couple of this, couple of that, and just put’em in the ground or pots

Hmm, for me, seed costs less than a single plant - by a lot. And you only need to start a few plants, you don’t have to do an entire flat. But then there are so many other things I have to start for myself because I’ll just never find them at any nursery, its really no additional trouble to start a few basil plants.

4 or 5 “regular” basil, then a couple holy basil, and a couple more generic Thai basil, and some Siam Queen, and some Lime Basil, and some Lemon Basil … just a few, LOL!