Basil is Wrapping Up

I had better luck with my potted basil vs in ground, go figure. Now if only the price of pignoli wasn’t out of hand

I know, right? I buy pignoli online, because I don’t want the dark, bitter, Chinese ones, just the Mediterranean.

Do you have a fav purveyor? I had some of that bitter-mouth from a bad batch

yes, I bought mine from nuts.com. great service, usually some freebies tucked in, too. Spendy, though: https://nuts.com/nuts/pinenuts/mediterranean.html ETA; wondering if it’s ok that I put in the commercial link?

3 posts were split to a new topic: How should we deal with product recommendations and mentions?

Moving the discussion on how product reco should be done to site feedback.

Holy smokes–I thought pignoli were expensive enough to begin with! Mine from one of our local Italian mom & pop shops were $22.99/pound. Alternatively, the ones from nuts.com are $29.99 for HALF a pound. WOW. At that price, thank goodness they flipped you some “freebies.” HA HA!

Did you ever taste test them against other pine nuts and find them to be a better bet? I can post a pic of mine if that would be helpful.

I have tasted them, though they were $5 less at the time. They’re very white, delicate and sweet. I haven’t eaten the dark ones in a long time, because I haven’t found non Chinese ones locally. My house guest made his grandmom’s Palestinian kofta for us, and used most of the bag, ground up. Because I don’t use a ton when I use them, I try to think of it like a spice purchase, which, per lb, would be astronomical. I store them in the freezer, too.

You’re right. I love specialty teas and some of those prices by pound would be major sticker shock, too!

I know, right?

Jealous you can get Mediterranean pine nuts in your grocery. We can only get the Chinese ones and they give me “pine mouth”.

You know, I’d have to ask–but it’s a little Italian specialty shop, so I always assumed they were Mediterranean. Thankfully, no pine mouth ever–it sounds dreadful!

Yours don’t look Mediterranean to me; too dark and my Mediterranean ones are almost white, more slender in appearance.

Ah, good to know. Still pricey, but at least no mouth of pine! When I run out, I might go “nuts” a la your suggestion. :wink:

1 Like

They have a “pine nut” variety for less than half the price, but don’t mention origin.

Go figure, eh? :wink:

1 Like

Nice basil plants. Plenty of flowering.

I usually just let them flower out and dry up in the ground so I can harvest the seeds and save them for my next planting!

1 Like

Ahh bummer! I’m in SoCal and grow basil on the porch year-round. Usually two types. I’m so used to having it there, I don’t know what I’d do without it. It gets put into so many things throughout the week. Hope you’re able to enjoy it in the form of pesto from the freezer (or something similar) in the colder months!

I enjoy it in the form of out-of-season produce all year. But nothing beats stepping outside and picking it from a patio pot, blending Thai basil with Genovese.

Ahh I’d love to find some Thai basil around here. Do you grow it from seed?

I grow Genovese from seed year round but always have a second “wild card” plant as well. Right now it’s purple basil. Last plant was Greek basil, which I’d never tried before, but it was exceptionally hardy and grows in this cute compact topiary like bush. The leaves were small and spicy but subtle, great for throwing handfuls into salads or grains. It might be my new favorite. Of course now I can’t find another plant, after the old one died while I was in the hospital.

1 Like