Bar Crudo [San Francisco, NoPa]

Bar Crudo is a seafood restaurant, with several dishes influenced by Italian-style pesce crudo - raw fish, kind of like the Italian version of Japanese sashimi. I’d been to Bar Crudo before at their old location near Union Square, and a few times to their current location on Divisidero. This is what I had on a recent visit.

Crudo for 1 ($14)
This is their sampler plate of four of the five crudo on the menu - halibut, arctic char, tombo tuna, and scallop.

From left to right:
Halibut
fennel salad, mint, cara cara, black garlic, lemon oil
With a dab of a sweet black garlic sauce and some crispy fennel.

Arctic Char
horseradish creme fraiche, wasabi tobiko, dill
Like salmon. Very nice, with a horseradish flavored cream and some spicy wasabi tobiko. Kind of tasted like a bagel topping.

Tombo Tuna
herb pesto, Persian cucumber relish, quail egg
With a little quail egg half. Very good.

Scallop
English peas, fava beans, citrus, chive blossom
Also very good. The scallop tasted very fresh and sweet with a nice texture and just the right amount of salt. Topped with some sweet peas.

My favorites were the arctic char and the scallop.

Kona Kampachi ($17)
sweet pickled kumquats, radish, seabeans, yuzu tobiko, espelette

Also ordered a full order of the kampachi. I didn’t like this as much as the other 4 crudo dishes. The kampachi itself was good but I think it was overpowered by the salty roe and the sour kumquat.

Uni Toast ($16)
avocado, chicory, yuzu

A couple of toast rounds spread with an avocado spread and topped with sea urchin. Ok but I think it would have been better if the avocado spread was a bit less acidic. Too much citrus? It overpowered the delicate uni. Chicory salad dressing was also a bit too acidic.

**Seafood Chowder (small bowl, $9)
fish, shrimp, mussels, squid, potatoes, bacon, cream

I think I’ve gotten this every time I’ve been here. Excellent as usual. Very rich (I think its mostly cream, so much cream) and with a plethora of seafood. Sopped up a good bit of it with bread.

More Pictures:

4 Likes

Nice report. Wonderful photos.

1 Like

bar crudo probably has one of the best happy hours in the city, which includes the seafood chowder and $1.50 oysters and a few other dishes (mussels, tacos)

totally worth it

lobo

3 Likes

Same oyster selection as usual? If so, great deal indeed. Is happy hour every day or just weekday? the website didn’t say.

OYSTERS

Kumomoto 5

HUMBOLDT

Miyagi 3.70

TOMALES BAY

Shigoku 4

WASHINGTON

Kusshi 4

WASHINGTON

Beausoleil 4

NEW BRUNSWICK

Drakes Bay 3.5

BAJA

happy hour is daily

its one pre-selected oyster for the happy hour stuff.