Bánh Mì Hội-An -Hackney - REVISIT

I went on a wild goose chase to find a new Korean restaurant in Hackney so headed back, thinking I’d go have some ramen at Tonkotsu. Then I remembered Bánh Mì Hội-An. I haven’t been there for about a year. I’m not much of a sandwich fan and nothing comes close to matching Toronto’s Banh Mi Boys, so I chose a noodle salad with catfish.

Bánh Mì Hội-An is described as Vietnamese Street Food and I wouldn’t know since I haven’t been to Vietnam. The noodle salad is pleasant, inexpensive at £6.50, and filled me up. It isn’t extraordinary but it isn’t disappointing either. Not a glowing recommendation, I know, but anything that’s Vietnamese and not disappointing is actually quite good!

I’ve had this one before and I thought the same this time as last. This is more like a stir fry rice noodle dish with some salad on the side and catfish and garnishes scattered on top. It’s a feelgood comfort dish. The noodles are warm, not chilled, and there’s no nuoc cham, and I’d prefer that, but sitting in that tiny place, listening in on the only other two seated people here it’s a nice, friendly experience.

Counter seating for four, cafeteria style, all the green tea you can drink for 50p, and several choices of banh mi, bun, and a few pho…it’s really a nice relaxed oasis in the middle of a busy day. I give it a 7 out of 10.

2 Likes