Avocado Toast

https://www.tastecooking.com/really-invented-avocado-toast/?ref=PRH6BF7AE3DF868&linkid=PRH6BF7AE3DF868&cdi=49C5C13CC304565EE0534FD66B0A6EA5&template_id=10599&aid=randohouseinc8510-20&utm_campaign=taste&utm_source=Crown&utm_medium=Email&cid=80654&mid=1095091164

An interesting backstory. I enjoy the combo.

Rooster

I love the combo. Lately, I have been doing avocado on my whole wheat/nut bread that I have been fiddling with and topped with a hearty shake of a dry rub that I put on nearly everything. If I’m extra hungry, a fried egg. YUM!

Right up my alley. Care to share your spice blend? I’m game for a new way to enjoy avocado toast. My favorite lately is Dave’s multigrain toasted, hummus spread topped with avocado slices, grilled tomato slices, sliced red onion, s&p.

1 Like

Ooh that sounds awesome. I loosely follow this and usually make at least a triple+ batch and keep it in a jar. Throw it on chicken, pork, salmon, eggs, obviously avocado toast. I never seem to have white pepper around so I omit that, lower the salt a bit and don’t get too fussy on any of the other levels.

1 Like

Thanks. I may also try it on grilled shrimp tonight. It looks like have all the ingredients on hand.

1 Like

That sounds delicious! Enjoy!

1 Like

The dry rub came together super fast. I added less salt but used a chili salt mix I had on hand. Thxs again.

1 Like

Have you tried TJ’s chile lime salt? It’s what I use most often on avocado toast (and lots of other vegetables). Or Tajin if you have that.

Yes on TJs. I also recd one as a gift from Rancho Gordo Im using up.

Hmm. Floridians still have something called an alligator pear. It’s a firmer, less oily member of the avocado family but tolerates our hot, humid climate better than the Hass varieties.

Several of my friends live next to people who have one, so they’re palmed off on on everyone they know (with the neighbor’s blessing) because the handsome trees can grow 30 feet tall with a wide canopy.

That’s a LOT of avocados.

3 Likes

Lucky you! There are plenty of avocados avail the problem is 60% are already over ripe heading quickly to ruin. I stopped at four markets in my travels before I found good ones.

Aren’t those the very large “tropical” or “florida” avocados? At least that’s how i see them labeled at the grocery store in nyc.
I grew up in CA and therefore will always only love hass avocados- never even had seen the other one til i moved to nyc. The avocados grow a bit further inland than where my parents house is, so they would be at the farmers market but no neighbors with trees

Sort of. There’s the larger, smooth skinned Florida avocados that show up in groceries, but alligator pears tend to be a backyard variety. As with most homegrown produce, the flavor and texture are far better than the store bought.

For guac, i like Hass, but I like ours better in salads because the texture holds up better, and they’re not as oily .

1 Like

I am going to have to try that salt. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

This would work really well in the red rice recipe I posted on another thread.

I like the TJ version better - less salty, more limey

Personal preference, I like fresh lime. In the red rice it goes in the pot and after its served. I primarily used the TJs version with cocktails.

All this great talk of chili lime salt on avo toast had me in the kitchen this morning making it. So darn good.

1 Like