Arsicault Bakery (SF)

The kouign amann are for husband who pulls one for breakfast a couple of times a week. They are too rich (both sugar and butter) for me to enjoy comfortably, as are their croissants. But I did buy me two croissants which I dole out and pay the consequences by popping a Gelusil within half an hour. The wages of sin…

1 Like

When I can’t handle the butteriness of an arsicault croissant but still want some pastries, I buy Jane’s from Toy Boat. It’s close by and rather delicious (though I’ve recently been partial to arsicault’s double-barrelled pain au chocolat…)

1 Like

I have yet to stop in at Jane,soon although they are undoubtedly the best baguette source in the neighborhood, some say town. Soon. Thanks.

( Before Jane, Toy Boat was where I took the grand-kids to ride the “horse that eats money”, as 4-year old grand-son dubbed it.)

My gf stopped by there on Saturday and they had a line out the door and all the tables inside full. They’ve added some more items, including breads (sourdough country, sourdough brioche, etc), as well.

She got a ham and cheese and blackberry hazelnut croissants. The ham and cheese was the best one I’ve had yet (I’ve had a few). The blackberry was good, but so rich. I only wish they made better espresso drinks (Fluid in the Cocina Marketplace makes decent ones and is only a couple blocks away).

4 Likes

What about Breck’s (next door) for coffee.

Oh, this thread is about the McAllister location.

Am I trippin or are Arsicault croissants kinda textureless? Buttery yes and crunchy yes but the inside just collapses when you bite. I mean they’re still good but I prefer some chew; I really like Jane’s croissant. Maybe 6 years ago it was Neighbor Bakehouse that had top spot but I tried a couple times recently and it was whatevs. I’ve yet to try anything from Loquat but looks really good.