Are there any ingredients that completely ruin a dish for you?

I must confess, my sister made a mincemeat pie that supposedly had raisins, but between the spices and all the other fruit, you couldn’t tell.

I ate raisins on Christmas and lived! :rofl:

6 Likes

i can’t handle even banana bread. although a woman at work brought in some chocolate banana bread and there was enough chocolate that the i couldn’t taste the banana.

1 Like

while it’s not something i’d seek out, i’ve had lavender shortbread and it was lovely.

eta: just remembered a lavender and chocolate scone i had awhile back that was also tasty.

New Yorker cartoon a few weeks ago: Man enters bedroom wherein his wife is in bed with a giant green leaf, encaptioned, “Cilantro ruins everything!”

4 Likes

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: Edible cartoon and comics

2 posts were split to a new topic: Awesome cilantro - your recipes

Hands down raw onion - People who lhrow it into everything like so many cooking show hosts do. You have no idea how off putting the taste and in particular the smell is to those who really can’t stand it.

Yeah to a cilantro thread! I like that stuff!

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat. I don’t know how how people take down large amounts of raw onion. I like some onion flavor, particularly cooked/caramelized, but I can’t do a quarter inch raw onion slice on a burger or giant chunks in a salad. Different strokes for different folks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love French onion soup, I love fried onion rings. I like caramlized onions as long as they’re caramized enough. But it’s nothing I seek out on a burger or anything. Yep, to each their own😊

2 Likes

Anything with jello . Put that orange slice next to my eggs oh brother.

2 Likes

Same here!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Awesome cilantro - your recipes

love onion rings, caramelized onions , onion soup ( I caramel onions also) but cannot tolerate raw onions , not even one bit. If I slice onions, I have to take extra measure to wash my knife until there is no smell at all.

Oddly enough, I am happily married to a man who loves raw onions in any way shape or form,. In spite of this we have managed to peacefully co-exist for almost forty years… He loves puttering out in his garden and I don’t mind him harvesting scallions and then small onions.

But to be honest with you tensions do tend to arise when he cuts up a large onion… I just don’t like that smell😊

5 Likes

My son also loves raw onions, and has shared with me, his concern that it may be a problem.

If I go raw, I try to use shallots.

2 Likes

I can eat large onion when it is sliced very thin, and very little quantity, for example in a salad. Otherwise, I prefer smaller raw scallions, spring onion (even the white part), shallot. As for red onion, my tolerance is very slightly better than the big white or yellow onion. A few days ago, MIL made a salad full of onions, I just picked out most the onions and discreetly discarded them. My month and throat started to sore and feel scratchy and discomfort.

I don’t usually eat leek raw, but there is a Peking duck recipe that I made occasionally, with the rich sauce, slice of duck, the raw leek is delicious and isn’t offensive at all.

No problem with all of them cooked.

3 Likes

I like raw onion, but it seems now whenever I eat any, in a salad - even the smallest thin slices, they taste so strong that I can’t tolerate them anymore. And I taste the smallest piece for hours after. I used to love a thin slice of sweet, raw onion on my burger.

When I polished off a pint of TJs pistachio gelato, which was very tasty and thankfully not over loaded with nut bits, I realized nuts (which I like alot) just bother me in ice cream, sorbet and gelato. I usually remove them as I go.

1 Like

I use to be like that. Hated raw onions but cooked, no problem

Now i have started to enjoy them raw. Today’s onions tend to be sweeter than before or it could be my taste has changed

My change to onion came with shallots. I was able to tolerate them raw in a salad, and eventually made it’s way into other things like grilled tuna on a roll with lettuce, aioli, and raw shallots.
I will even eat a burger with very mild raw sweet onion like a Valdalia.
It sook some time, because cooked was never a problem, even growing up.