April 2017 - Homecooking DOTM (Inaugural Edition) - CHICKEN AND RICE

My first chicken and rice meal. Everything kimchi. Got to use up quite a bit of kimchi liquid.

Marinated chicken thighs in leftover kimchi liquid. I was disappointed not to find thighs with skin on but didn’t have time to go to another supermarket.

Seared then finished in the oven with several bastings. I boiled and reduced the marinate to a thick sauce for basting. Also added a pinch of sugar and fish sauce to encourage caramelisation.

With homemade kimchi and kimchi fried-rice.

8 Likes

just to clarify: 2/3 means 2 to 3 cups, not two-thirds cup, yes?

PAD KRA POW GAI

From this recipe:

8 Likes

No, I did mean two-thirds of a cup. Soaked basmati rice needs only slightly more water by volume than the original volume of rice (half cup, in this instance). I like my rice on the firm side, though. If you want softer rice, increase the liquid to 1 cup.

2 to 3 cups will yield something far too mushy. If, however, you were to use that much liquid, I’d suggest cooking it for a longer time to get something more congee-like in texture. That sounds like an interesting variation.

1 Like

thanks for the clarification.

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #20- 04/2017 Spring’s calling: a movable feast

Don’t eat a lot of Thai food but chicken with basil is one of my favourites. Always ordered this dish at my regular Thai restaurant in my previous life. I remember it was lighter in colour.

Will make something with real names when I get to the organic butcher this saturday.

Chicken mince was on sale last week. Bought it but had no idea what to make then today I decided to use some tamarind pulp as a sauce for the mince.

In the sauce: water, tamarind pulp, onion, garlic, fish sauce.

With stir-fried chard and plain red rice.

5 Likes

So pleased to see this here! I’ll be following, and hopefully adding later in the month.

1 Like

Very nice recipe. I’m assuming you poured the simmering carcass broth thru a strainer and used only the liquid for cooking rice?

Thanks. Yes, you assume correctly.

1 Like

That looks beautiful! What a lovely sauce. And the bowl also. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! You will find the bowl in most Indian shops. They come in different sizes but mine is rather small.

1 Like

I attempted Spanish arroz con pollo for the first time. The chicken came out beautifully cooked, the flavors were lovely and subtle, though I did add a few squeezes of lemon and some flaky salt to bring out the flavors at the end.

Unfortunately, I used aborino rice, as I couldn’t find bomba or another short grain rice, so it came out a little gummier than I would have liked. Also, I sliced the olives a bit thick.

Despite that, it was very popular with the boy and his little teenage friends. They chowed it down during their Friday night video game battle. :slight_smile:

I used this recipe:

8 Likes

An article on Basque food in the current issue of Saveur includes a Chicken Basquaise recipe.

My parents always want halal chicken cart lunch when they come to visit! There’s quite a debate about whose is best and grumbling about the downhill slide of the 53rd/6th ave guys. Whatever.
Anyways, back home they make the serious eats recipe often but skip the pita

2 Likes

@Bookwich, perhaps reducing the amount of water would help to minimise the gumminess?

I made a few things…

To avoid burnt garlic when grilling what I do is brown it with enough oil that’s going to be used for brushing. Let cool completely first. All the rices have onions and garlic fried in Mangalitsa fat.

Seasoning for the chicken: Scotch bonnet chillis and paprika powder in OO. For the rice: Turkish red pepper paste, spicy kind.

Chicken thighs with skin on. I removed the bone, added kebab spice mix, then rolled it up. Grated turmeric in OO in the rice.

Greek oregano and chilli flakes inside. Forgot to make a photo from above but the rice had chopped up seaweed and parsley.

“Montreal steak seasoning”

7 Likes

I usually use these bomba rice:

1 Like

For dinner tonight, a couple of small b/s chicken breasts were seasoned with salt, pepper, and dried thyme, quickly pan-seared, and then removed so I could whisk in some white wine and honey-mustard, then about 2 Tbsp. of heavy cream, then added the chicken breasts back in to finish cooking.

Served over basmati rice, with roasted asparagus topped with lemon zest and toasted pine nuts. And, as anyone on the WFD thread can expect, there was wine alongside as the final “side dish”. :wink:

4 Likes

I forgot to include the dip, but this was Cantonese poached chicken with a scallion soy sauce dip, with brown rice/ quinoa on the side.

4 Likes

I think it’s called “white cut chicken”, correct? One of my favourite chicken dishes. This one is stupid easy to make. I plan on making “white cut” chicken next.