April 2017 - Homecooking DOTM (Inaugural Edition) - CHICKEN AND RICE

Have to be registered to get. :disappointed:

1 Like

They supposedly allow ten free articles a month to nonsubscribers, but it’s possible that recipes are available only to subscribers. Sorry. (In any case, my main point was the interesting timing of them posting a chicken-and-rice collection right at the end of our month-long discussion. )

2 Likes

Hi @Bookwich -

Are you sure? That’s what I thought. But then I read this from naf and thought that was true too. I held off making it to see if my local Asian market (koreatown) had it. [quote=“naf, post:94, topic:8972”]
gives the dish distinguish Chinese flavour.
[/quote]Hmmm :thinking:. Decisions!

10 posts were split to a new topic: Making biryani at home

Moved @bmorecupcake's detailed and wonderful chicken biryani family recipe and the subsequent discussions to its own thread above.

Absolutely Shaoxing wine would be the ideal choice. If you don’t have any, though, sherry is the closest in flavor, with a similar bitterness and slight caramel undertone.

Thanks!

[quote=“Bookwich, post:106, topic:8972”]
sherry is the closest in flavor,
[/quote]I think I’m going to use the sherry. I called Hannam Market and they only had soju. I wasn’t going to drive over there just to get another substitute. I didn’t think shaoxing wine was going to be that hard to find. There’s even CH & FTC threads devoted to looking for it. I’m still curious and will get some online for later use. I use a lot of mirin; but now what to do with the plum wine?

Thanks for all your help folks. My chicken and rice DoTM will be a little past due.

:chicken:

Give this place a call if its near you?

http://cantonfoodco.com/chinese-food/

1 Like

Great!

It’s about 15-20 minutes away. Should be fun checking it out and buying other stuff too. I’ll make the Red Cooked Chix with the sherry tomorrow (today :slight_smile:), then drag my downtown living cousin to Canton this weekend. She’ll :heart: it.

Thanks!

For roast chicken, I will splurge on a farmers market chicken. I try to find heritage breeds, in the 3–4 pound range. 3 1/2 pounds is my ideal size for a nice chicken dish. :).

1 Like

Loosely based on a Thai dish called “larb”. Basically, it’s minced chicken (or pork) flavoured with fish sauce, palm sugar, lime juice, onions, garlic etc. Eaten with lots of vegs and herbs alongside.

My chicken is very coarsely chopped up with a Chinese cleaver.

4 Likes

Lovely.

Thanks.

I forgot to add the chicken and orange with rice meal on the Spanish thread…

RED COOKED CHICKEN

I know this is on the late freight. But for my first attempt I wanted to use the proper ingredients (shaoxing wine, not dry sherry). Although I prefer the taste of sherry, there is a definite difference between the two and I’m glad I tracked down the shaoxing wine. I typically cook with tamari, but the wine came with a bottle of dark soy, and inexplicably, a pack of Dentyne gum :confused:. My only departures were the bone-in, skin-on thighs instead of shredded chicken and a little Saigon Cinnamon (because I have it).

Results:
The spices & aromatics were really prominent (perfect) at first, but dissipated during cooking process. I also wish I had found cassia, because cinnamon sticks get a little astringent with prolonged cooking.

I wasn’t quite sure what to do with the Rice, but decided to cook it in water with the spices, aromatics and a skosh of the red braising liquid. A garnish of spring onions or scallions would have been perfect.

With a couple of tweaks I could make it just right. This is definitely going in my repertoire.

Thanks @Presunto!

5 Likes

P.S. I now have a big pot of Master Sauce and am open to any suggestions. Along with the mentioned ingredients are Star of Anise, Fennel Seeds, Dried Tangerine Peel, Sesame Oil and a little Sugar, surprisingly no Pepper or Garlic.

Nice! Yes, always tweak to your liking. I always do. I’m incapable of following recipes.

You can use the “master sauce” as a dipping sauce for meat or poured over steamed vegs. But first reduce it further, it will be thicker and more intense.

1 Like

You can use it to cook several chickens and then have them frozen. Or else reducing it as a dipping sauce or accompanying rice or noodle dishes isn’t bad idea too.

1 Like

Thanks @Presunto & @naf! Excellent!

I froze my “master sauce” from the soy braised chicken and used some of it in this rice.

http://i.imgur.com/j48Nyks.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FrWH458.jpg

3 Likes

Fantastic.

1 Like