Any *words* that you *like to use* when describing *food*?

I’ve been reading a lot about words that are not liked while describing food.

Thought that it might be fun to find out which words everyone finds acceptable when describing food.

Your OP prompted me to scan through my reviews that I wrote of meals on our recent holiday. I realise I need to diversify my language and, for some of the following, I certainly overuse the words. But here’s what i picked out

Zingy
Lukewarm
Yasty
Flavoursome
Restrained in Quantity/Generously portioned
Crisp
Softened
Contrasting
Undewhelming
Bland
Nicely seasoned
Accurately cooked as requested (usually refers to steak)
Could not detect (refers to ingredient on the menu listing)
Simple
Assembly job

2 Likes

It truly boggles the mind what minuscule things annoy people, amirite?

Here’s a few I use often:

scrumptious
refreshing
underwhelming
underseasoned
heavy-handed
delicious
crisp / crispy
crunchy / kronchy
savory
flavorful
zesty
spicy / hot AF
tart
rich
satisfying
skimpy
pedestrian
overrated
#faceplantable
schmecki

3 Likes

Conversely, a word I abhor is “tasty”. To me, it suggests a lack of discernment, and when offered as a compliment falls short of any comprehension of a dish.

@pilgrim,

Which words do you like to hear when describing food?
What word would you rather hear someone use in place of tasty?

Actually the word I probably use most often. I’m sure you’re right about my lack of discernment.

5 Likes

My problem with “tasty” is that I perceive it as lukewarm, without enthusiasm or opinion.

2 Likes

@pilgrim,

I use tasty often that’s why I ask what you would prefer to hear in place of it.

Tasty is a vague term that I use because everyone’s taste varies and what I might like someone else may not.

1 Like

If I am going to comment at all on someone’s food, I will give it a positive and enthusiastic, probably hyperbolic endorsement. Superb or fabulous or incredible, followed by why: imaginative, unexpected, challenging to create, perfectly executed.

If none of the above applies, I will deem it quite interesting,

2 Likes

Thank you for your detailed descriprive word list.
I use tasty to portray something that I’ve made or created not to describe someone elses dish.

Eta: If I do happen to refer to someone’s dish as “that looks tasty” that means that it is on my radar to make it.
Gorgeous when someones plating is top notch (yet thst word other’s find cring worthy).
I would not go out of my way to intentionally use words to upset people but at the end of the day I won’t please everyone and I just have to be me.

2 Likes

Careful it is hot .
I under salted it a little here is some for your taste.
The beef is cooked rare .
Crispy skin .
California olive oil
California wine .
Vegetables from my garden.
Smoke ring
Cooked over oak

3 Likes

“It is ok” or “It is alright”

I’ve always liked it when you write out “kronchy”, @linguafood . :smiley: Another phrase I like that is often used by @mariacarmen is “SOFAKING good”! :rofl:

Otherwise, I like these words as good descriptors:

savory
full-flavored
pungent
acrid
briny
mellow
rich
tangy and/or tart

2 Likes

ahem. it is SOFA KING GOOD.
:grinning: :rofl:

5 Likes

When my husband says those words to me it means that he’ll eat it but not to make it again.

2 Likes

We say “we like it” and

“We like it a lot.”

1 Like

I think I should use those terms less.
Sometime I use those terms just because I don’t think very good about something, but I don’t think they are horrible. So I would say: “It is ok” “It is alright”.
However, sometime I notice that I say these, when I don’t want to commit. e.g. I want to see how someone else think about the food first.

It’s so true that “it’s okay” can mean many things!
When I say “it’s okay” people interpret it to mean that it is indeed good.
Perhaps it has something to do with the tone I’m using when saying those words?

I think so. Especially the phrase “It is not bad” can be interpreted as “I am pleasantly surprised how good this is” or “It is kind of bad, but I don’t want to make a scene” depending on the tone and facial expression.

2 Likes

Traditionally, in British English, the response to the question “how are you?” is “Not bad”. Generations much younger than me have adopted the American “good” as a response.

2 Likes