Any tidbits on NYC? 4 day trip or so.

Huh I just might do that for dinner on my evening arrival in. Just drop off stuff at the hotel and walk across the bridge to Chinatown. I’m a little curious on that fish haha.

Oh and quick question. Any thoughts on yakitori in NYC? Or better off just eating that in LA?

I visited NYC often, but I didn’t live there. So others will know much more than I do. Based on what I have seen, you can get great yakitori in NYC, but you can also get great yakitori in LA too. East Village has several yakitori places. Some are very popular with very long line. I usually go to Village Yokocho which I feel is a nice balance between quality and waitline. I still feel you can get pretty equivalent quality yakitori on the two coasts. So maybe it won’t be high on your list.

Yeah that’s what I’m curious about. I tend to visit LA every once in a while, while the east coast is relatively rare.

For Yakitori we like Torishin in Hell’s Kitchen. Evenings only, but they take reservations.

1 Like

If you’re staying in Brooklyn, it’s worth checking out some Brooklyn food. Middle eastern of various origins, Eastern European, Brooklyn Chinatown, and various pizza options come to mind. There’s also Lilia and Misi among other trip-worthy destinations.

Other things you’ve mentioned, in no particular order:

Instead of EMP I’d eat at the bar at Le Bernardin, Jean Georges, or Gramercy Tavern.

Steak - Luger is Luger. The maitre’d opened Wolfgang’s, but they don’t even come close. You can get a great steak at better french and italian restaurants. Or Korean (see Cote).

For cheung fun, pick up at the counter at Deluxe, or sit down at Dim Sum Go Go or King’s (the other places that get written up are a different variety - lots of noodle, very little filling, flavored mostly by the sauce you add, and therefore cheap). There are better versions of many Chinese dishes outside Chinatown. XLB - Real Kung Fu or Pinch. Other food - Cafe China, China Blue, Hao noodle, plus Pinch. You could go even higher end at Hakkasan, DaDong, and RedFarm. Mission Chinese is interesting, but harder to eat at alone imo.

We have excellent Korean - Atoboy, Hanjan, and Her Name is Han are not your standard bbq joint, and Cote might actually be perfect for a solo eater given their set menu.

If you’re seeing any theatre, it’s a good time to get some great Thai food on 9th ave. I favor Pam, but there are many good options. Or the yakitori places are nearby (ToriShin is high end, Yakitori Totto a notch down, Sake Bar Hagi and Donburiya below that), but I’d eat Thai first.

If you’re near Columbus circle, Bang Bar is a tasty fast casual option (you can balance the cost by getting a drink at The Aviary/The Office). Elsewhere, check out Kati Roll Company, which BB reminds me of.

Once you have a better sense of what you’re doing and where you’ll be, you can elicit more location-specific suggestions.

Lots of great pizza there, of course, but I’ll mention Juliana’s Pizza (19 Old Fulton St
Brooklyn, NY 11201) as the favorite I’ve had outside Italy, and mention it just so you don’t prefer instead the very nearby Grimaldi’s (the two places have an acrimonious history).

I also suggest Joe’s Shanghai in Chinatown, especially for its soup dumplings (xiao long bao), which are so far as I know unobtainable in most of the USA, but San Francisco could be an exception. Seattle and Vancouver, BC, have some. I like Joe’s best.

The seafood-intensive Manhattan restaurant Le Bernardin, while not the latest trendy thing, provided one of the top three or so fine dining experiences I’ve had. Everything’s great; the lunch is a bargain.

Enjoy!

@Night07

Black Label Burger at Minetta Tavern
Breakfast/Brunch: Barney Greengrass - make sure you order some smoked sturgeon. Peter Pan Donuts, Japanese Style B-fast/Brunch - Hi-Collar, +1 for Kossar’s bialy.
Veselka for Ukrainian breakfast or late night meal - open 24/7
Smoked fish @ Russ & D, Zabars, Barney Greengrass. Order a 1/4lb (or more) of sliced to order smoked salmon from either place.
Pizza @ Lucali. Eater NY. Una Pizza
Steak @ Keens or Luger. Keep eye out for Meat Hooks Instagram for pop-up Vintage Beef dinners
Ivan Ramen for Chicken Paitan Ramen
Mazemen - not a thing yet… but soon will be
NYC has the best high-end sushi in the US at the moment: Noz, Noda, Shoji 69, Ginza Onodera, Amane
Kaiseki: Okuda
Fancy Korean: I don’t think this exist anywhere in the US besides NYC. Atoboy (affordable). High end -Atomix, JungSik
Fancy Indian: Heard good things but have not been myself. Indian Accent, Junoon
Fancy, Fancy: CT at Brooklyn Fare, Modern. Make sure to order the duck if you dine at EMP or Modern.
Clams (Cherrystones, littlenecks etc) on the half shell is very affordable in NYC. I hit the raw bar counter at the Lobster Place in Chelsea Market. $1 each. Good selection of oysters too.
Puerto Rican Cuchifritos joints - I’m partial to Lechonera La Isla. For a larger selection 188 Cuchifritos
Pastries: Patisserie Fouet, Chanson, L’Avenue
Gastronomic activities: Eataly - Flatiron, Mercado - Hudson yards, Chelsea market (make sure to check out Saxelby Cheese in the basement), Union Sq market on Saturday
Yakitori - Torishinn (although their head chef left a few weeks ago). Toriko is supposed to be good. Or just visit Raku in LA.

Skip:
Chinatown & Flushing - You have far better Chinese and Dim Sum in SF and LA. Do not even think of DaDong. Skip Tim Ho Wan - if you must check this box just get the famous bao.
If you ABSOLUTELY must have Chinese explore East Village, LES offerings - these places cater to the new affluent NYU Chinese students. Ho Foods executes an excellent Taiwanese beef noodle. Hunan Slurp has an interesting menu. Pinch (ex DTF chef) does a decent XLB.
Le Bernardin - dullsville

2 Likes

I totally agree.

1 Like

Is already a thing.

Has been written up in the NYT, even.

I think the $1 oyster are at the lobster place adjacent restaurant Cull and Pistol, weekdays only during their 4-6pm happy hour.

1 Like

@small_h Thanks for the NYT link. Haha yeah looks like it’s already taken hold in NYC, although I don’t think it’s caught on elsewhere in the country. Have you tried Niche? I decided to pass on it a few months ago when I saw the C health rating posted on Nakamura :mask:

@Ttrockwood the $1/each was in reference to the clams. Oysters closer to the usual $2-$3/each.

Do elaborate.

Yep, right after it opened. I had the uni toast, which was excellent. And the ramen with clams, which I didn’t think was all that. Other people have reported liking that dish a lot more.

Wow. I walk past Nakamura a few times a week, and I don’t recall seeing anything lower than an A. I’ve eaten there a number of times and nothing’s ever given me cause to worry. I tried to find Nakamura’s score on nyc.gov’s inspection page, but it’s not working at the moment.

@small_h yeah I was stunned to see the C rating at Nakamura.

@Saregama I was a long time fan of Ripert and had longed to dine at Le Bernadin for ages. Finally got a chance a couple months ago. The meal felt very dated - flavorwise and plating (see pics below). The best part courses were dessert. Part of the problem I think is the 3* rating. My expectations were very high and it just didn’t elicit any memorable moments. On the other hand my dinner at Chef’s table was a much better overall experience - although the formal dress code and then having to trek through the grocery store was a bit disjointed.

Sorry to hear. I’ve only ever had wonderful meals there over the years, whether in the dining room or the lounge. For me, a different league vs others often mentioned together.

Expectations can be the death of an experience. They are probably what ruined EMP for me - the meal just did not live up to the hype and the reviews, for me or my guests. And a fat check later, I wished we had flown back to TFL instead.

@Night07 I forgot The NoMad on the fancy meal list - though I’d eat at a table, and have a drink at the bar after.

Are there any place you suggest? Though I hate to say it, most of my places of interest are still in Manhattan to wander around.

Any of those places allow no jacket and sneakers haha. I avoided attempting some places since I hate bringing more things on the plane and I don’t enjoy walking around places in non-sneakers.

I was thinking Keen’s since I’ve been to Luger’s last time. But Cote, Atoboy, Hanjan, sounds interesting as well. I will be in LA the previous week so I was wondering if they do a better job on that same goes with the Thai and Yakitori.

Mmm I’d say I can find XLBs pretty easily in California and the pacific North West. Din Tai Fung is somewhat ubiquitous in Seattle (nevermind the flagship ones in San Gabriel Valley) actually and Dinesty in Vancouver does a good job.

I still don’t want to carry a jacket haha.

Huh, how easy is it to get access to those pop ups if they’re available? Never really paid much attention to those. But was thinking of going to Keens for a small portion of mutton and regular steak.

But wow! That’s an impressive list. Thanks Sgee!

I think the hardest part for me right now is trying to juggle between what to eat and if I can get a reservation then figuring out if there’s a dress code…

Ha, the funny thing is I had high expectations for TFL and all things was good/great but I just felt like I didn’t want to go back again. Alinea on the other hand I had a fun time and would love to go back.

Anywho, thanks for the NoMad recommendation. I was reading some reports on FoodTalk and heard mixed things on EMP and La Bernardin so I’m at a toss up there.

Was that your plan for EMP? While smart casual is usually fine, and most jacket-required places have a stock of jackets for guests who didn’t know or didn’t bring one, I do think there is a modicum of expectation on how you’ll be dressed for a meal above a certain price tag :joy:

1 Like

For @Night07: lots of people don’t live in coastal metropolitan places. That’s why Trump is a thing. If you go to the middle of the country–anywhere from Utah to Pennsylvania, not to mention the Southwest and the old South–and you can find XLB, you’re a genius!