Any new tidbits on Hong Kong (Spring 2019)

Oh I’m aptly aware of how useful google maps is, just last time I was around the Happy Valley with my phone my folks thought I was an idiot trying to find the right # bus stop (which wasn’t even in the same general area). Just to watch the bus go past us not stopping anywhere around.

The MTR app worked better in that case, but in general the google maps app should be good.

Ouch!!!

We scored the top front seats on the dbl-decker tram at the Happy Valley terminus. All set for a scenic cruise to a delicious lunch in Wanchai.

At some point, realized we were going right instead of left. Oh well, ended up in Chai Wan at a place we’d eaten before. It’s all good.

2 Likes

Woah That looks good as well.

Oh I suppose one question. We’re arriving somewhat late into HKG at around 7:30 (later if there’s any delays, or earlier if the pilot hustles) and after clearing all that I expect to be past immigration around 8:30. Any thoughts on where to eat? Just grab something at the airport?

As you know, there are eateries everywhere. Unless you are way out in the boonies. Something is bound to be open late in the night, early morning.

Do you plan to take the airport express into town? If your group is more than 2, taxi may be as cost effective. If 4-6 ppl, call a large Uber car.

What area are you staying in the first night?

You do have Octopus cards, of course?

Yeah that’s true, I’ll be around HKU so not too far out from central. Planning to take a bus as its cheaper lol.

Already have the octopus cards lying around though… probably have little to no cash value on them.

Dependent on which part of ‘near HKU’, the A10 airport bus may take you close by.

As GG mentioned, HKG is full of restaurants, and many well known chains too. If you want to eat close to where you eat, try Tak Kee in Sai Wan opposite of one of the HKU MTR entrance, and the A10 airport bus will drop you right at the entrance. They close at 11pm. Google says its closed. I certainly hope that they aren’t.

If not Tak Kee, there are plenty of Chiu Chow restaurants in Sai Wan and Sheung Wan. Eat, then take a cab to your place to stay.

That’s like last week I tried to drive to Newark to eat and didn’t realize I took the wrong ramp and ended up in Little Saigon in San Jose. LOL.

1 Like

And get some late night dessert at Yuen Kee. Also closes at 11pm.

Think A23 is the one I’m taking, just off water st.

Main thing is to drop off the luggage, and just grab a quick bite. If I was flying solo I’m good to grab before heading to my hotel but unfortunately my folks might pack a little heavier than I prefer.

But yeah, sounds good for the choices. Will probably grab dessert as well. Thanks for the rec!

I don’t think there is an A23 bus? I am only aware of one airport bus that goes to western and southern Hong Kong island.

http://www.nwstbus.com.hk/routes/airport-bus/route/index.aspx?intLangID=1

… … uh… A12. >_> I blame dyslexia.

Since I finally put everything on a map, I just realized my hotel isn’t too far off from Kwan Kee claypot rice and they close at 10:30 pm. I’m definitely thinking of heading to that after we land!

2 Likes

It looks like A12 and A10 both stop at the same place once they came out of the tunnel.

I’d probably get a jar of the XO sauce to try. They seem to be widely distributed, including the Park n Shop near me.

I was looking at Patchun and it looks like its the similar vinegar one can already buy in the Bay Area.

Would love to try the soy sauce, though its annoying to have to check the bags…

1 Like

Ha yeah. The pat chun vinegar looks like the same one you can find here just theres one with the pigs feet inside and other sizes.

For the xo sauce i have to find one without ham. But the kowloon soy sauce seems interesting. Bought a bottle will see how it tastes lol

Oh yes that’s true. Can’t bring the one with ham. totally forgot about that.

Yeah. I was thinking of bringing some dried tangerine peels but they are still citrus so forget that. Guess dried seafood lol

@Google_Gourmet

The Lei Garden XO sauce, does it contain ham?

Per website. Yes lol

@Google_Gourmet

You have succeed to bring the bottle back to US?

Luckily, the world I’m living in doesn’t have restrictions like this.