Alabama Barbeque

A nice overview of Q in Alabama.

2 Likes

Quite a while ago after a daylong meeting and with time tight, our host disappeared for a minute; he returned with two styrofoam carriers from Dreamland! (The bottle we brought must been a hit?) The flights home from Birmingham were unbearable – thinking about the contents of the boxes under the seat that would not be revealed until arriving home.

2 Likes

Cool article. I’ve never had a white BBQ sauce. In fact, I don’t think I’ve even seen one here in nj.

2 Likes

Nice read w/ pics.

Could have been oh, say, 3,000 words more… :yum:

Fred is a cool guy. I know him from Roadfood.
You can find his musings on Southern Foodways, and other locations.

1 Like

My wife is from Birmingham. Have eaten at Saws, Miss Myra’s and Johnny Rays. It’s all good. Just give me decent smoked meat and I’m happy

1 Like

I know this is an old thread, but I couldn’t help looking. My dad is from Alabama, and I’ve visited a lot. I’ve been known to drive a very convoluted route to the Bob Gibson in Madison county on the way to the Huntsville airport to check out the white BBQ sauce and to have something under my seat on the plane.

I must say I find the pictures a bit disconcerting though. My dad was born in Huntsville in 1913, and I can totally imagine one of those men in the Pine Hill picture ( the men on the sides, not the man in the center) being a close relative. Not the best of times.

1 Like

I grew up in Birmingham, still have family there, and did a whole lot of voting rights work in AL. Some key places: Archibald’s in Tuscaloosa has the best ribs on earth. Period. Dreamland is usually very good on ribs. SAW’s is great (SAW is an acronym for Sorry Ass Wilson), as is Miss Myra’s, Carlile’s, and Full Moon. There are a couple of whole hog imports now – a Rodney Scott’s and a Martin’s, both very good. I have a non-commercial blog, https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com, that has a lot of Alabama places – and places around the US and Europe. (Great place in Amsterdam)

3 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve been there several times – combining work and pleasure while doing voting rights cases! The barbecue is pretty good. You also can get a pig ear sandwich there, but don’t. https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/2020/02/20/have-you-ever-had-a-pig-ear-sandwich/

In Montgomery, Sam’s is also pretty good, and Dreamland’s ribs are good (Adn the sauce is sensational on white bread.)

1 Like