Advice needed: How do you store your recipes?

What recipes. It’s why I photo my food. So I can kinda remember what I did the last time :yum:

1 Like

In my phone I have ONE bookmark for IMDB - all the rest are recipes.

In the empty recesses of my mind

1 Like

I use plain text files, but I store them in git, a version control system. Then I push them to github https://github.com/nbirnel/cooking.

I also use the New York Times cooking app, but I am concerned about what happens if they ever abandon it, so I may spend some time pasting all of those recipes into text files and committing them to git.

2 Likes

I bookmark online in google. I have folders and sub-folders for sorting. I pare them down often.

If the recipe is from a library book, I photocopy , then tuck it into one of the few books I own. Sometimes, if I find just one or two recipes I want to try, rather than check out the book, I simply snap the page(s) with my iPad camera.

1 Like

Black Friday Sale! 50% until end of November for desktop versions and mobile.

https://www.paprikaapp.com

I think I will finally get both versions of Paprika, my recipes will be with me all the time, synchronised.

Tried Pepperplate, it is a bit too basic for me, it is nice to see the recipes online. Note that it is an online platform, no physical files on your device, you need internet connect to access your files.

I have Pepperplate and tons of recipes there. Is it worth switching? What is different? Thanks!

I don’t use pepperplate in a big scale, for me auto import from web doesn’t work most of the time. I will test out Paprika and post back.

One note, if pepperplate shuts down one day, your recipes will be gone. Always keep a backup version in PDF format on your computer. I am curious how it survives, since it is a free to use, I guess some users donate money or they are making money from the ads to cover the costs.

You are right. At first I had no issues bringing the recipes over but lately I have to do them manually most of the time. Maybe I’ll try paprika but I wonder about all my stores reipes

So I downloaded the app on my iPad and so far, I’m striking out. I can’t seem to,save the bookmarklet that allows you to import the recipes. I’d like to try it on my computer but I’d hate to pay formth windows app only to find I can’t down,iPad the bookmarklet there either

Does this work for you?

I’ve just got the Paprika app for Mac, but didn’t get the iOS version yet.

Thank you!!

If you have trouble, since you have bought the app, just write to them here.

Thank you again!!

After some to and fro with the support of Paprika. We noticed that Pepperplate offers no options for file export. If you use the desktop version of Paprika, you can login to Pepperplate account from within Paprika browser and view and download recipes. Works alright for me with recipes written in English.

Thanks, naf!

I have been storing my recipes in my gmail account since about 2007. I use tags (“recipes & food,” “cocktails & drinks” and sub tags “gluten free,” “vegetarian,” etc. Works great, and I love the search functionality. Plus available across platforms anywhere I have a data connection.

2 Likes

Actually for recipes I haven’t tested out, I just use Pocket to manage and save the recipes for into list for future use. The tag function is great. You can define the keyword as you want. Very useful to search, for example a certain ingredient, or a certain cuisine.

1 Like

I am looking into this as I have found Pepperplate’s performance degrading at an alarming rate. Very sad because I really liked Pepperplate. Were you able to move your Pepperplate recipes over to Paprika?

Yes if the recipe is written in English. Hmmm, but need to do it one by one. Good point is Paprika has a powerful search engine that you can define (name/ingredients/source or even the whole recipe). You can also have several photos with each recipe.

1 Like