2022 Veggie gardens!

Impressive setup!

1 Like

Thanks. Our first real garden in over a decade.

3 Likes

Huge fan of container gardening - kudos!

2 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

First time using grow bags, and I am convinced so far.

4 Likes

Warning - gardeners rant here.

Photo is of today’s pick. The situation here is deteriorating into one of those lackluster-for-gardeners PNW summers. Temps are rarely breaking into the 70’s, with plenty of overcast days. Everything grows, but nothing thrives.

We’re accustomed to this phenomenon, always planting more than we need, thus not wanting in the veg department per se. However, in a good year, we’d be swimming in tomatoes, cukes, summer squash and berries at this stage and hauling off stuff to the food bank. As it is … well you see in the basket. Not the bountiful harvest or juicy fruits of summer we’d rather be eating at this point.

I truly doubt we’ll see any peppers at all this year at all, and cukes and tomatoes are weeks and weeks out. The strawberry yield was pathetic, and the concord grapes didn’t set in any meaningful numbers at all.

If we’re lucky, there will be corn in about 10 days, and we still have beans and winter squashes to go. I spent the last two days seeding our fall crops: carrots, peas, cabbages, leafy greens.

Hope springs eternal.

3 Likes

Back home and here are some of today’s pictures.
Fingerling potatoes
Hoping La Ratte, but I put a few other sprouting potatoes in some grow bags in February.

From the window of my connecting flight from Salt Lake City to Sacramento.
I hope it’s all going to be alright.

Poblanos; I think Baron. I am also growing 211 and San Louis.

Various artists.

@bogman lemongrass

Mother in law Jean’s Scotch Bonnet

Turkish orange eggplant; just ornamental at this point.

One of many Dwarf Project Tomato varieties. I think Choemato.

Some shallots. The tiny but precious grey ones from @bogman on the right.

4 Likes

That’s quite the bounty! Looks like the shallots escaped the dreaded onion fly. I’m afraid there was no time this year to replant shallots. A lot of annual plantings got sidelined this year. The poblanos look great!

2 Likes

The shallots never seem bothered by anything. I’m going to replant some of them.

There are so many theories I’ve read about planting the small ones vs the big ones (like you do with garlic); should I think of them like biennials, should I be going for lots of small bulbs vs a few big ones. We have probably discussed this before. There’s time to sort it out, and I still have some nice sized (French or Dutch) red ones growing from small ones I harvested last year.

Today

They seem to be bigger than last year, and none bolted.
From last year’s harvest. So tiny I didn’t use them much.

Here is this year’s main harvest of flavor grenade pluots.

As much as we like the balance of sweet and acid, what we really like is the crunch.

5 Likes

It took a full 90 days from planting 4” potted plants to get the first ripe one. But now I’m a very happy camper.

4 Likes

Beautiful!

My pluot summer salad

2 Likes

My first real harvest: Cubanelle Pepper, 2 cherry bells and 7 large shishito peppers, all shallow fried in herbed olive oil. Followed by farmers’ market corn. At this rate so far, this is a $100 side dish of peppers!

5 Likes

And worth every penny!

4 Likes

My garden isn’t producing much of a harvest yet.

Maybe 8 beans, 10 peas, 1 beet. A few favas.

Composted my arugula, my choi sum, radishes and most kale which was flea beetle bitten. Put some row covers on a few kale and kohlrabi plants.

A third of my potatoes haven’t come up.

My basil and cilantro are doing well. Lots of romaine but it started to bolt.

My 2 varieties of spinach are having issues this year.

3 Likes

Impossible but we have lots more coming so we will dollar cost average.

First blueberry pick of the year, about 18 days behind “normal”. This is a mix of Toro and Patriot berries. We also grow Blue Crop, Superior and Duke.

My mother would have kept each variety separate and labeled on individual plates on her kitchen counter. Me, not so much. What isn’t consumed or utilized fresh gets roughly graded by size and frozen in single layers on sheet pans (IQF blueberries). I’ll box them in freezer containers once frozen.

6 Likes

Your plants are awesome. My tomato is big but hasn’t done squat as far as producing other than a couple of flowers that dropped dead when it routinely started getting over 100. I’ve gotten ONE pimento and three eggplants so far. Tomatillo has been struggling since day 1. The eggplants were delightful, not bitter at all.

2 Likes

My first tomato, yesterday

3 Likes