2022 Manhattan restaurants

a chow meet? I’m in…

3 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions, @Saregama. Didn’t know about Miss Korea. We’ve been to My Name is Han, and to the now-closed Hanjan. The Indian suggestions are especially interesting. DSGG was always very good. I was less appreciative of Jing Fong. Haven’t been to Red Farm or Blue Willow.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! We hope to visit at the end of September. If we do get to come, I’ll try to hit as many of these places as we can.

2 Likes

If you’re interested in less common cuisines, further afield, Ziggy, a former Hound who is stopped posting on CH some time ago posts occasionally on his site here. It hasn’t been updated recently, but I think some information re: Chinese, Indian in the Outer Boroughs continues to be good information.

I understand avoiding IG and FB.

I’ve removed the IG posts to Ziggy’s account since they seem to bother you.

Hi Phoenikia,
I’m interested in lots of things, but am somewhat restrained by the desire to return to old favorites. Kopitiam is something I looked at years ago, and decided not to go. I don’t completely recall why, but I think that a lot of the stuff would have been too sweet for me. And I avoid Facebook and Instagram. We’re all strange in different ways.

3 Likes

Me, too. That’s why I get the oyster omelet, which is awesome.

1 Like

I think you had yet to visit last time we “spoke” about it (or maybe not?). The stuff I’ve had there has been relatively low carb - the paplet and the beguni and the ragda pattice. But I’m not gonna argue that $29 is not a pretty high price tag for pulao.

Anyway, after two visits, I’ll probably leave the place alone for a while. Too many other places!

1 Like

Sounds interesting.

As you see, opinions vary. It’s a tough reservation (too tough for what it is, honestly, but we do have something of a herd mentality here).

Hi. I’ve been eating exclusively takeout or outside for most of the pandemic, and mostly staying within walking distance to my East Village home. That said, there are 3 at least partly Sichuan places in my neighborhood that I like, and I think 2 are worth a trip:

Uluh is delicious, sometimes a bit on the salty side, but they are “fusion” in the sense that they cook in several regional Chinese styles, and so far, my experience is that they are excellent in all of them. I can recommend specific dishes if you’re interested, but there’s more of the menu I haven’t tried than that I have tried.

Szechuan Mountain House is a couple of steps up from Grand Sichuan St Marks, whose premises they took over. Their ingredients are better, their cuisine is more refined and their decor and service are more upscalish, but though their prices are higher, their portions are big. Some of their dishes tend toward the salty side, too. Again, I’d be happy to recommend some dishes if you like.

The other Sichuan place I like around here is Mala Project, for their drypot, but the vegetarian drypot from Uluh might be better, and drypot is not so unusual anymore.

The other Chinese restaurant in the East Village which I’ve liked, though so far I’ve tried their food only once, is Che Li, the Shanghainese restaurant just across the top of the outdoor staircase from Szechuan Mountain House. Refined, delicious food. I should really order more takeout from them.

I can also state that New York Noodletown and Congee Village are still as dependable as ever, and if you haven’t tried the chicken jerky from Malaysia Jerky at 95A Elizabeth St, they’re just as ever, too. I like their beef jerky as well, but my favorite is the spicy chicken jerky. Beware: Malaysian-style jerky has sugar in it, and it’s not a cheap item! $27-28/lb. But it’s a great treat for a splurge.

As for Korean, would you consider an upscale fusiony modern Korean place? Oiji is fantastic, although they are planning to move in April to a larger, more luxurious space on, I think they said 19th St. and maybe 6th Ave., so look out for that. I took my girlfriend there for her birthday in late February, and it was one of the better meals we’ve had in the last few years.

1 Like

K-Town-ish faves:
Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong (KBBQ), Love Korean (KBBQ), Gopchang Story (Offal), Cho-Dan Gol (Generalist), Cote (Best quality meats KBBQ), Gammeok (Seolleongtang), My Name is Han, Atoboy (Modern K), Jua (Open fire cooking Modern K), Jeju Noodle Bar, Atomix (if you can score a reservation, modern K tasting menu) , Pocha 32 & Soju Haus (Soju friendly food)

Chinese:
+1 for Sichuan Mountain House (best Sichuan [& Chinese] in Manhattan IMO), Pinch (XLB), Ho-Foods (Taiwanese Beef Noodle), Wu’s, Yi Ji Shi Mo (Rice Noodle), Yin Ji Chang Fen (Rice Noodle), Hao Noodle, Very Fresh Noodle, Bonnie’s in brooklyn sounds interesting.

1 Like

Pinch! How did I forget Pinch!
They used to have a great “happy hour” for their dumplings, though I never actually made it for that…

I did, a few times. It was great. Fish dumplings!

1 Like

Hi Pan,

Uluh is new to me, as is Mala Project. Szechuan Mountain House is on my list. “On my list” only means that I read about the place once and jotted down its details. It does not mean that I had considered it a “must” visit. CheLi is also on my list. I’d be pleased if you could recommend specific dishes, although I cannot guarantee that we’ll get to them.

As far as chicken jerky is concerned, I don’t like food that tastes sweet. I don’t mind if sugar is a non-dominant component. And I think we may have had beef jerky at Malaysia a number of years ago.

We have eaten at Oiji and enjoyed it very much.

Sugar is one of the tastes in the jerky. It’s also salty, meaty, and if you get the spicy kind, spicy. You could try buying a single slice of each or they might give you a sample to try.

I’ll look at Che Li’s menu later and see if I can find the dishes we tried on our one visit so far.

1 Like

Thanks for all these recommendations. Some of them are places I have been intending to visit, such as Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong. But I think I’ll be more interested in Cote and/or Atomix this trip. Providing we can make the trip!

Pinch is on my list, but we’ve never been. Sounds like we should try to get there.

Did you also try the beef or pork dumplings?

No, I don’t eat beef or pork. I did have the mushroom ones, though, and I think they were actually better than the fish ones. But fish is more unusual, so I remember it more.

Sounds like I’d have to try all four!