1760 - Polk Gulch, San Francisco

Went to 1760 on Polk Street the other night, an offshoot of Acquerello. Food was exceptionally good, not one dish wasn’t a winner. Started out with kabocha squash soup shots - nicely sweet/earthy. Then, fried Castelvetrano olives stuffed with longaniza and rolled in fennel pollen. Addictive. I’d go and swill martinis all day just to have bowls of these. Skewing Asian, the brussels sprouts in a lime/fish sauce emulsion with pepitas is another must-have-again dish. Burrata with olive oil, balsamic, persimmons and focaccia - luscious. Grilled octopus, potato and chorizo put me right back in Barcelona. For my main (yes, we kept eating), I had these killer pork ribs in a hoisin bbq sauce with crushed peanuts and radishes, and the BF got a double-patty smashed burger with muenster and bourbon-bacon jam. We brought half the ribs and half the burger home, but then got talked into dessert: a sort of deconstructed s’mores with swoon-worthy hickory smoked ice cream.

It’s rare that we go to a restaurant and every dish works. This was one of them. There’s nothing wishy-washy about the flavors Executive Chef Carl Foronda (Catch a Rising Star Chef to Watch in 2017) brings to these dishes. Sommelier Gianpaolo Paterlini, son of the owner of Acquerello, was very knowledgeable and interesting to talk to.

http://www.1760sf.com/

1760%20kabocha%20squash%20soup%20shot

1760%20octopus%20taters%20chorizo

8 Likes

Like a Christmas present to yourselves. :star_struck:

3 Likes